Queen Mary 2 – just love it…

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 70 total)

• BigDog.
    Participant

For cruise aficionados, a Cruise Liner port is being proposed close to Greenwich allowing large cruise ships near direct access to London – an alternative to the schlep to Southampton?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/cruise-news/11386176/Large-cruise-ships-coming-to-London-within-two-years.html

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just seen the end of this thread Martyn. The wind took care of the ash. The cigar is pure leaf so 100% bio degradable. Even if the fish smoked the butt If would be ok as cigar smoking is harmless 😉

MrMichael
    Participant

BigDog, I cannot see Greenwich harming Southampton to any great extent. It might be attractive in the height of summer for Norwegian Fjords voyages, but most cruises head South for the sun. Departing Greenwich adds a day and a half in the colder climates against Southampton. From Southampton, turn right at the Isle Of Wight, five hours later turn left and head South.

Harwich, Tilbury and Dover took Southampton on, damp squib.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Did someone mention Queen Mary…?

I have just booked for 18 night (3 back to back cruises) and it works out at less than £90 per day per person.

I have also attained “status” on Cunard and with status come internet benefits….

Really excited and looking forward to 18 days at sea on the wonderful QM2.. (just 3 stops)

MrMichael
    Participant

So where are you going Martyn? If I am guessing, NYC, Boston, Martha’s Vineyard.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I think Martyn is heading East?

SimonS1
    Participant

Keep us posted Martyn – original post was one of the best TRs on here for a long time.

MrMichael
    Participant

LP, I doubt East, if 18 nights with only three stops it must entail two transatlantics. It might be From Southampton to NYC (six nights), followed by a mini cruise to Bermuda back to NYC (six nights) and the transatlantic back to Southampton (6nights). Or could be Bermuda five nights with a night stopover in NYC.

I am determined not to check the Cunard site and cheat here.

K1ngston
    Participant

Enjoy Martyn, as I get sea sick in the bath I cannot say I share your enthusiasm but having enjoyed immensely your initial report I await with bated breath the follow up 🙂

openfly
    Participant

As a frequent Cunard cruiser, the Queen Mary 2 is good, but overshadowed by the Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria. The two smaller ships are far more refined, especially Elizabeth. QM2 is so much larger and has a bit of a Benidorm atmosphere, especially on the short booze cruises out of Southampton! The larger ship is definitely missing the high quality of its siblings.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Southampton – Hamburg – Southampton – New York – Southampton

I was going to try and get a special on-board price as last year (for the transatlantic), when I went on the mini cruise, but seeing a Daily Mail offer for £900 for the Atlantic back to back, made the decision to book a no brainer.

The cabin and restaurant are lowest grade, but until I can compare with a higher grade, (which I am holding back on), I am more than happy finding privacy, when needed around the ship.

There are countless grades of cabins onboard and Cunard run an hour’s lecture describing cabin or state room options. I have been told many times that once you start moving up the grades, you generally don’t slide back down to the lower grades. Right now, an inside cabin, with no curtains, suits me perfectly as I only use the cabin to sleep, change and shower… during the day, there is far too much going on…

MrMichael
    Participant

Hope you have an excellent trip Martyn.

On the subject of QM2 v the smaller cunarders, I think it a matter of personal taste. My experience in the shipping industry is that some people like the big ships with 1001 amenities and things to do. Others like just to relax in luxury and enjoy the sumptuous food and personal service. Going by Martyn’s current preference of an inside cabin and how he hardly spends any time in it, he sounds to me the type that likes to explore everything going on board and to do the 1001 things in his 18 days. When he gets older, no doubt he will calm down, upgrade his cabin, and enjoy a few drinks on his balcony with his feet up!

K1ngston
    Participant

+1 MrMichael but believe me he cannot get too much older, as long as there is a glass to put his dentures then Martyn is happy 🙂

NTarrant
    Participant

Have a good trip Martyn. Just one thought as you have an inside cabin, don’t get ill! My sister-in-laws husband picked up a bug on a cruise and was confined to the cabin for three days. Lucky they had a balcony cabin

MartynSinclair
    Participant

K1ngston – at least the glass is raised to my dentures (fixed) and not my dentures lowered into the glass!!

MrMichael, this probably is a sign of age… but my only critique on the last voyage, was some of the very interesting lectures were cut short due to timing issues.

My daily routine: running on deck, gym, lectures, shows, cinema, miscellaneous activities (RADA class), meeting some very interesting people and of course eating, drinking and sleeping… 24 hours in each day is not enough…

When I fancy a drink on the balcony, I take a glass (or a bottle) of something up to deck 12 or 13… the “balcony” up there is massive and not busy at all….

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 70 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls