Quarantine when flying to the UK from a shared airport.

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Alsacienne
    Participant

It has come to my notice that if one flies to the UK from my local airport (BSL/EAP) which is a shared airport and which currently serves London Heathrow (BA), London Gatwick and Edinburgh (EZY and DS) that one will be required to quarantine for the prescribed 14 days in the UK on arrival because the airport is on French soil.

Could anyone confirm or deny this please? Many thanks. Stay well, stay safe and stay cool.

SimonS1
    Participant

Yes, that is the FCO guidance.

x2000traveller
    Participant

I thought the Swiss side of BSL counted as provisional Swiss territory, ie. it has its own access road from CH and security channels. It used even to have a Swiss immigration desk separate from the PAF one, and a fence between the two ‘countries’ on the arrival forecourt for buses/taxis. It really does seem a bit weird to deem it to be France for quarantine purposes.

esselle
    Participant

I have known this airport for over 20 years, and think it’s configuration quite the most bizarre I have ever seen. How does GVA compare though? You can leave into either France or Switzerland, but what about when to arrive at the airport?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

This piece from The Independent was published one hor ago.

The final two paragraphs refer to Basle airport (which is located inside French territory)

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/quarantine-france-ferry-netherlands-belgium-car-eurotunnel-a9673116.html

ASK1945
    Participant

Alex

As always, this link is behind a pay-wall. What do these two paragraphs say?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

That’s strange. I had no problems at all accessing this article. I pay no subscription fee and most of this newspaper’s content does not lie behind a paywall.

Anyway the last two paragraphs say:

“The DfT has confirmed that passengers using Basle must isolate for a fortnight on return to the UK.”

“The airport is located inside French territory, two miles from the Swiss border and is connected by a ‘route douaniere’ (customs road). But because it is in France, the quarantine rules apply.”

1 user thanked author for this post.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Yes, both airports (GVA & BSL) have a separate access from the other country (GVA from France, BSL from Switzerland), but then passengers mingle. That said, it is easy for anyone to select a departure airport in a neighbouring country…

Alsacienne
    Participant

Does the same apply to Geneva or, as it is fully on Swiss soil, does the UK arrival quarantine restriction not apply?

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1006754][/postquote]

No quarantine required.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls