Quarantine Hotels UK

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Good evening all

I am currently in the reddest of red zones (Brazil) and am contemplating my return. I have an option to stay here until June which I think I will take but ultimately I believe I will be in quarantine hotel, something I am not relishing.

I understand people have a great deal of anxiety about that illness that is all the rage right now, and am have no issues with your opinions on the illness – but really wanted to use this thread to ask about the hotel situation in England or Scotland for return travelers if you have any direct or indirect reports from the experience.

Ideally, I’d fly home to EDI as per my original ticket so if you know of anyone who has been in the govt imposed isolation centre in Scotland, would be great to get any feedback about the conditions I have to live in for 10-days. Food oK? Is exercise allowed? Are you literally holed up in a room for 24 hours? Can you order take-away if the food is awful? And any hints / tips to make more palatable.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any intel or can point me in the direction of somewhere that might have information.

AOTG.

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Best to join one of the Facebook groups set up. For example UK Hotel Quarantine Support Chat.

Food seems to vary dramatically between the hotels.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[postquote quote=1094230]

I actually searched all over Google before asking on here, didn’t think to try FB – great suggestion and have a couple of answers already.

Thanks for the tip Simon.

Rgds,
    AOTG.

christ
    Participant

Do you not have to quarantine in England on the basis from a red country and no direct flights to Scotland from Brazil?

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

As you will be paying, surely you get to choose which hotel. I may be clutching at straws in presupposing that the Depts of Transport, Health and the Home Office will have set out just which hotels are included within the quarantine scheme; coherent, “joined up” organisation are not terms that trip off the tongue when considering HMG’s performance since early 2020.

Oh, and to make you feel better, travellers to HK are in stir for 21-days and that is irrespective of if you’ve had negative tests before stepping onboard and upon arrival. The approach taken by the HKG is several light years different from that taken by the Johnson cabal.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1094267]

You cannot choose your hotel – that was stated at the outset. Families get preference for interconnecting rooms though. Capacity does seem to be quite tight which is why bookings are only being taken 2 weeks or so ahead.

I’m not aware that a list has been published (I presume to avoid unneeded “I’m a gold card holder and very important” style rants) but it is quite easy to work out from the Facebook groups which ones are being used (Rennaisance, Radisson Blu, Holiday Inn Bath Rd etc).

By the way, what evidence is there that 21 days quarantine is needed? I don’t get why shutting someone up for 3 weeks is light years ahead?

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1094295]By the way, what evidence is there that 21 days quarantine is needed? I don’t get why shutting someone up for 3 weeks is light years ahead?[/quote]

Was hoping to get back to HK near the end of summer , alas looks like I’ll be spending my money somewhere else this year. And the noises coming out of HK ( ???) seem to suggest they don’t want to welcome any visitors, period . A shame , but not unexpected .

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1094305]Was hoping to get back to HK near the end of summer , alas looks like I’ll be spending my money somewhere else this year. And the noises coming out of HK ( ???) seem to suggest they don’t want to welcome any visitors, period . A shame , but not unexpected .[/quote]

Seems like Thailand though, may be reducing quarantine, gradually, for those vaccinated, from 1st April and 1st October…

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[postquote quote=1094267]

No, you do not choose your hotel, you are allocated one. And it appears from some news items I have seen this is still not guaranteed as people arriving into Edinburgh last week were taken by coach to Glasgow as the hotel in Edinburgh was full and the gov’t do not want to spend money opening another in EDI. I am guessing the hotel is entirely taken over as COVID jail.

The Facebook group Simon suggested has been a great help and I am communicating with a few people there about the situation.

For travel purposes the faster we can move away from this situation the better, the vulnerable in the UK are now all vaccinated so I am not sure who my enforced sentence is protecting, I am perfectly able to self-isolate when I get back but fear as I am in a red-zone country there is an inevitability about my captivity. You may already know this, but the UK right now is also on almost every other country’s red zone list.

Rgds,
    AOTG.

canucklad
    Participant

Hi AOTG– Whatever happens in the future , and although a bit of a nuisance AOTG, my advice is to transit via LHR /MAN or DUB and not AMS or CDG directly into EDI
    Having said that you’re category red so doesn’t really matter , but just in case a miracle occurs and Brazil is removed from the list.

[quote quote=1094308]Seems like Thailand though, may be reducing quarantine, gradually, for those vaccinated, from 1st April and 1st October…

THANKS[/quote]

Fingers crossed, that as long as the risk is mitigated the HK decision makers realise the competitive damage they would inflict on the city by maintaining a blanket closed border approach

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[postquote quote=1094314]

Yeah, Brazil isn’t going to be taken from the “red list” anytime soon from either England or Scotland.

There are other options I am exploring (funnily enough, right now!) before I have to change my Brazil – Scotland flight.

Rgds,
    KMc

AFewGoodMen
    Participant

Good Day,

There is another option to avoid U.K. hotel quarantine if Brazil is still on the red list in June.
    Fly and stay at-least 10 days in another country not on the red list (Bosnia, Greece, Poland & Serbia for example). Then you can fly into the U.K. without having to do the hotel quarantine.

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Inbound quarantine for HK is currently 14 days but reducing to 7 days from April 19th.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls