quarantine control AUS

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anonymous

tarisingh
    Participant

a relative has asked me to bring a tin of quality street choc’s to Autralia (don’t u just hate that!!) am worried about the quarantine rules – does anyone know – are they allowed??!

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone !!

I’ll recommend you to declare any food stuffs you are intending to bring–to prevent any bad awakening or serious penalties !!
    Go to first AQIS Officer you’ll see at the customs area and ask about your food and what to do. Here is the online site and info thread for Australian Quarantine Regulations on Food:

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/travel/entering-australia/cant-take#decalreorbeware

NTarrant
    Participant

If you watch Nothing to Declare on I think its Living TV then you will know that it is always best to declare, as Hess says. Also don’t tick the no box on the customs form, tick yes. Better safe than sorry!

If you haven’t watched it, suggest you do. Can you bring back a box of TimTam’s, much nicer then Penguins.

JordanD
    Participant

Just returned from NZ via Sydney – for both countries declare everything you have. I was travelling with two people who both declared that they were carrying sweets/chocolates and customs/biosecurity waved them through no problem. And this was after our Australian forms declared we’d been on a farm & in contact with livestock within the last 7 days.

The point here is declare and you’ll be fine.

MarcusUK
    Participant

I have lived here in Sydney for several years, & am here at the moment, & travel regularly into Sydney.

The rule has always been “declare it or dump it”.
    NO food items are allowed off the plane, & generally the guide has always been NO food stuffs to import, as they may contain prohibited or restrictive ingredients, animal products, nuts, etc.
    this is more for Disease & agriculture protection.
    Often the working sniffer dogs pick up food in suitcases as people collect their bags, or the odd snack in a hand baggage i have seen.

Always people have been taken aside, the food confiscated, & some people fined.
    My rule of thumb is not to bring in any foods stuffs, as technically there could always be some prohibited ingredients that make up the final product.

U can buy quality street in David Jones Department store, just as you can buy Tim Tam’s in Sainsbury’s!
    Either way, it will take up a fair chunk of yr luggage allowance, be hard to be charged 1% of the one way first class fare per kg extra, which some airlines will do!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls