QR – the price of 5 star service?

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

Millionsofmiles – yes it was covered in the local press in Dubai. Not condoning what happened, however it has also been reported the incident happened in a 5 star hotel car park and the CCTV footage shows a somewhat different story.

BigDog – not sure the examples you quote add much to the story. Sadly rapes occur in many places including the UK. Only last last year the IPCC found that the Met were pressurising women to drop rape claims to improve their clear up rates.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21586786

rferguson – sensible post as always. The only thing I find odd is why a colleague would get into a car with a total stranger in that way. I wouldn’t have thought that was very sensible in London let alone another country.

BigDog.
    Participant

Simon, the examples provided are indicative of a system where the female who cries rape is countered by being accused of having extra-marital sex and being imprisoned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_United_Arab_Emirates#Sexual_assault

…Human rights groups express concern over what they consider a criminalization of rape victims.[17] In two cases, women who reported being raped were sentenced to prison for “engaging in extramarital relations”, as their allegations were considered unfounded by authorities.

Over 50% of women residents in the UAE say that they would not report a rape to police….

cityprofessional
    Participant

+1 rferguson

Although QR’s working conditions may not make sense to us in the West, they may be less of an issue to staff from other parts of the world. The service is very good indeed on QR. So long as you as a passenger treat staff with courtesy and respect, I don’t see an issue. Not flying QR won’t resolve the problem

In fact, I’ve always wondered why BA hasn’t employed more Far Eastern-based staff (just as VS crews ex-HKG are virtually all based in HKG), rather than the token 1-2 language speakers, but I fear that may be opening another can of worms…

xelor74
    Participant

Not flying Sharia airlines in the future.

SimonS1
    Participant

BigDog.
    Participant

Your quote has conflated rape with sexual assault Simon so somewhat incomparable, though fair point. Am not commenting further.

GrahamSmith

OK, this thread has run its course.

Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls