Qatar's 5 stars

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

• iflypremium
    Participant

Qatar Airways must be paying serious cash to Skytrax to remain a 5 star rated airline.

Here is my own” 5 “star experience.

On 24th April I sent a letter to Mr Gary Kershaw the UK Manager of Qatar Airways. The letter was sent as it is deeply impossible to get any management email addresses online.

The letter was signed for (Recorded Delivery) on 25th April by a David.

I waited a few days for a reply as I had only given my email address for response. I have checked my Inbox and Junk Folder every day since. Nothing.

2 days ago I emailed the tellus Inbox to ask if they can forward my email to Mr Kershaw.

I got an email back asking me to phone my local office.

Poor so far but it gets worse.

Just rang the contact centre and I told the lady I am in Manchester but need the London office number.

She asked if I am in London. Really ?? I repeated that I am in Manchester. The line went quiet for a minute so much so that I thought she had disconnected.

She then told me she had no number. Only an office address.

If this is their 5 star service level,I would hate to find out what their 0 star service level is like.

Mr Al Baker ; if you or your team are reading,please think how all this feels to a future passenger.

It feels like that unless you are Alex Macheras or Sam Chui,no one else matters to QR.

1 user thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

Have you flown in J or F on QR?

2 users thanked author for this post.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

I did a quick google search of ‘Qatar Airways London Office’ and came up with +44 870 280 5816 for London HQ in Kensington.

+44 870 389 8090 may also work?

Sami
    Participant

SkyHigh, Qatar Airways gets its very deserved 5 stars from the excellent level of onboard service and magnificent lounges. I find it a bit baffling that you’re questioning their 5 star status just because you were unable to get their phone number in your 5 paragraphs plus post which can be summarized in one sentence. and you want Akbar Al-Baker to intervene for your inability to get their phone number!
    I propose you try QR first and then see why they definitely deserve their 5 star status

iflypremium
    Participant

I have flown J and Y. Not that having or not having flown QR changes the fact that the UK Country Manager has received a letter,not replied and so on as per my initial post. I suggest you maybe read my post before jumping to conusions.

Sami
    Participant

Again I reiterate, rating an airline because the UK Country Manager has not responded to your valuable query is just laughable. No jumping to conclusions there, just plain common sense.

5 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

I think it’s important that any company makes it easy for customers to communicate with them at any level, and I would be as aggrieved as the original poster regardless of the reason for needing to communicate.

It’s common courtesy to respond to communications, sadly so many companies these days appear to lack that understanding.

5 users thanked author for this post.

iflypremium
    Participant

Thanks Capetonian for your much appreciated input. I was starting to think I am wrong to feel a tad annoyed at no response. 5 star my eye. First impressions of customer contact are very poor.

PointyMark
    Participant

QR is a great airline to fly with most of the time. But their back-room and ground services are not great and I agree it’s frustratingly hard to get ones complaints dealt with. I’ve found that a posted letter to the CEO tends to get action, but not necessarily resolution. I reached Platinum level in their Privilege Club this year, but at the same time I vowed to stop flying with them because of their poor ground service/support standards.

PointyMark
    Participant

Sami, “magnificent lounges” are not network wide. Lounge for First pax in Guangzhou (CAN) is a disgrace! And last month I was appalled at the Business class lounge they use in Male (MLE) – I had to go to Burger King to buy food to stave off a diabetic hypo I was having because the food in the lounge was so disgusting! My report to QR was unanswered.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=934784]I think it’s important that any company makes it easy for customers to communicate with them at any level, and I would be as aggrieved as the original poster regardless of the reason for needing to communicate.
    It’s common courtesy to respond to communications, sadly so many companies these days appear to lack that understanding.

Thanks[/quote]

We don’t know how serious the subject of the message to the GM was, so we can’t really say whether a lack of prompt response is appropriate or not. I would never email a GM of an airline unless it involved a serious legal issue which needed to be resolved without delay.
    I provided above the numbers for QR’s London HQ to demonstrate that a quick check of google can often get you the information you need rather than expecting it to be provided to you on a platter. If the matter was really that serious, that’s the approach I would have taken about calling QR’s offices.

I have never flown QR or have any association with them. But I do wonder sometimes if we frequent flyers have taken on a sense of entitlement on some issues that goes beyond reasonable, resulting in these barriers being put up by airlines. I wonder whether we are partially to blame for this.

AJDC
    Participant

I am curious EUFlyer – why should one not feel entitled when one is paying $10,000 for a ticket in business class?

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

Hi SkyHigh – Gary Kershaw has been in touch with us directly, and has asked that we share his email address with you so that you can contact him directly with your concerns.

I have just emailed you his address – hope this helps.

iflypremium
    Participant

Hi Mr Caswell.

I am really grateful for your assistance and thanks for your email.

I am glad I am finally able to make contact with Mr Kershaw 🙂

Thanks.

woodyhoo
    Participant

I am a gold member with QR.

The onboard service is excellent ,but thats where it stops

Once you step off the plane QR is crap.

Customer service is a joke and QR staff will lie.

Also the privilege club is not a great ff programme.

My last two biz class flights to the far east have been with Cathay Pacific and Finnair…..not up to QR service but much cheaper.

4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls