Qatar – no 5-star this!

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

The simple remedy for which is to clear your cookies, or to “go back” to the site on a different device. We have seen this numerous times, so it is our standard practice now to clear cookies before taking a second look or to use more than one device. We have saved a lot of money that way!

kweeki1
    Participant

Just returned to Paris from Hong Kong with QR. Honestly I did see any real change from my travel experiences last year. Excellent start of holidays in A380, went to the onboard lounge very shortly after take-off, had Krug, nice dinner afterwards. Al Mourjan lounge was almost full and it was difficult to find any place to seat, I think the midnight time is the busiest time in HIA with all connection flights arriving and departing in the same time slot. The flights to/from HKG were with retrofitted A330, found the seats not bad at all, just lack of space for personnal belongings (especially compared with 380 and 787).
    Same amentity bags as last year.
    All in all very good experience and exceptional value for money (got my tickets during QR commercial offer “2 business tickets for the price of 1”).
    I don’t care how to qualify QR – 5 stars, 4 stars or somehow else, will certainly look forward for new offers and will certainly fly with them again.

SenatorGold
    Participant

Last month I flew QR business class from LHR to Dhaka via DOH. The aircraft was the B787 on the LHR-DOH and DOH-DAC sectors. It was the A330-200 on the DAC sectors.

Overall I was very happy with my experience. The window seat on the B787 is very good and I wasn’t aware of any lack of privacy. I wasn’t expecting to find a lie-flat seat on the A330-200 and so it was a pleasant surprise to flnd one on both DAC flights. The lie-flat seat on the A330-200 is the same as on the A321. It was perfectly acceptable for a four hour odd flight although the surrounding space is rather limited. I was fortunate in not having anyone sit next to me on both DAC flights. Otherwise it might feel rather cramped.

The service was fine on all flights, but more attentive and warm on the DAC flights. On the DOH-LHR flight I asked for the “dine on demand” service (as I was sitting at the window there wasn’t anyone next to me to disturb with this), which worked well although they didn’t get my order quite right. However, they kept my glass of champagne topped up without my having to ask.

Transiting through DOH at midday is the optimum time. The Al Mourjan lounge is very quiet at this time of day. The LHR T4 lounge continues to be excellent, especially the restaurant.

My only real complaint would be the very poor boarding procedures at DOH for the DAC. There was a very long queue to enter the boarding area and there was no attempt to give premium passengers priority.

Otherwise QR does offer very good value and I’m happy to fly with them. Their membership of One World is an added attraction as I can redeem Avios earned with them on BA flights in Europe.

Henryp1
    Participant

We took QR A380 from CDG to DOH (day flight) the other week and found it to be a very good overall flight and service. The business cabin was probably 60% full but it still felt roomy and very airy at the same time. I appreciated the mood lighting.

The cabin crew were friendly, attentive and efficient without being obtrusive. We found the catering to be very good and plentiful if required and served nicely.

The crew took time to interact with passengers as was necessary and appeared to be happy and honest in their actions.

I found the seat to be very comfortable and roomy with a few spaces to keep essentials to hand during the flight. IFE was nice with a good selection and a decent headset.

The bar seemed to be empty any time I passed by, but looked roomy enough.

Having never flown on Qatar’s A380 it was a nice experience with a transfer onto a refurbished A340-600 which was great and very comfortable. An equivalent crew which was nice, only downside was the IFE did not have the same content as the A380 and I had a film to finish watching.

I liked Doha airport and the lounge for the short transit which was a relief after going through CDG. I hadn’t passed through CDG for a very long time, and now understand comments in a previous thread about how poor it is.

MickBettesworth
    Participant

Flew LHR/DOH/SIN/DOH/LHR with Qatar.
    LHR/DOH/LHR was in an A380 and was very spacious and comfortable. The Champagne wasn’t Krug but was a very acceptable Billecart- Salmon Brut Reserve. The food was very good and the service was correct although not particularly warm on the outward journey but much better on the return. Thought the IFE was fiddly but got used to it.
    Found the Al Mourjan lounge in Doha slightly underwhelming, but was able to get a shower in both directions. It was here that the only real annoyance of the trip happened. I had pre reserved seat 2a prior to departure and had a boarding card issued in London. In the lounge in Doha, I was asked if I would mind changing seats and I politely declined. When I arrived at the gate, I found my seat had been changed anyway and I had be put in 1C which have I always thought is probably the worst seat in the plane( proximity to galley/wcs etc). I was not best pleased and the gate staff were totally disinterested.
    However, in mitigation, the SIN/DOH sector was on the new A350 with probably the best CSD that I have ever experienced. The A350 is a very comfortable, quiet aeroplane and this combined with the excellent service made this sector in particular, a very enjoyable experience.
    I though Qatar in the air pretty good – maybe not what it was – but still to the front of the pack – however on the ground – room for improvement!!!

Hermes1964
    Participant

Flew to AUH in J and F at Christmas.

Loved:
    Dining and pick and mix in the LHR lounge
    On board service very friendly and professional
    J and F lounges in Doha. The latter like a cathedral
    Extraordinarily lavish catering in F on 40 minute sector DOH – AUH

So-so:
    777-300 spacious cabin but seats a bit hard and old school
    Food – better than many but not what it was when last flew QR five years ago

Dislike:
    Booked two sectors on A380. Subsequently changed to A330-300 – at the time flat beds not guaranteed and seating assignment split across the cabin. Eventually flew seated together on 777s

Overall still head and shoulders above most of the competition – so on balance I would give it 5 stars.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls