QATAR BEST SEAT

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

FirstClassWannabe
    Participant

I have booked LHR-KUL in business. This is a real treat for me as rate much higher than Etihad but wanted the best. I hope they live up to all the hype. I am flying a mixture of 777-300, 330-200 and 300 and 340-600. I believe the 777 seat is the best but just wondered is there that much difference compared to the Airbus. Also, I have a 9hr layover at Doha, I know the Premium Terminal is excellent but not sure if I should book a hotel? Many thanks for any feedback.

I have recently travelled in Business Class from LHR-HKG and then CAN-LHR on the return. Both trips involved a stopover in Doha using the Premium Terminal, the first for 1.5 hrs and on the return it was for 4 hrs.

The aircraft from LHR-DOH was the 777-300, which is fantastic as the bed is fully flat and there is loads of space to stretch out in. You get a real sense of space. I transferred to an A330 for the HKG leg and although it was pleasant and comfortable, the bed was lie-flat instead of fully-flat with less space in and around my seat. The cabin felt smaller in comparison to the 777, but other than that, it was perfectly fine and much better than alot of other airlines’ business class offering on this route.

CAN-LHR via DOH were both on the 777-300, so I would actively look to travel on this aircraft if this was available and the dates/times were convenient.

As for the Premium Terminal at Doha, it is fine for a stopover, but does get extremely full between 11pm and 2am. This is because all the flights seem to come in at once and connect to other flights, so this involves alot of transiting passengers all trying to make the most of the connection time and filling themselves up with food and drink in the lounge. Trying to find a seat is extremely challenging.

For 9 hours, I would suggest a hotel unless you are prepared to sleep in one of the lounge chairs; may be worth checking the t&c’s on your ticket as some permit a free stopover in a hotel if your connecting flight is 8 hrs or more.

Hope this helps – have a great trip!

first_class_please
    Participant

http://qatarairways.zendesk.com/entries/508355-what-if-i-have-a-transit-time-of-over-8-hours-in-doha

What if I have a transit time of over 8 hours in Doha?
    Ali N. Alharazi
    posted this on Mar-28 09:47
    Qatar Airways is pleased to offer a convenient transit hotel accommodation for customers who face extended transit times in Doha, en-route to their final destination.

This service is available for customers wishing to pay or complimentary basis depending on the fare/journey purchased.

Eligible customers will be offered the following services:

Al MAHA, greet service at Doha International Airport for First & Business class customers
    Temporary-entry visa to Qatar, Doha*
    Airport-hotel transfers
    5-star hotel accommodation for First & Business class customers
    3-star hotel accommodation for Economy class customers.
    Meals: breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner ( Dependant on the duration of the stay)
    *Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee an entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the Doha Immigration Authority. Qatar Airways is not liable in the event entry is not permitted upon arrival, in spite of a hotel booking.

Customer Eligibility
    With exception to only a few cities, you are eligible to a transit hotel accommodation in Qatar, if you meet the following criteria:

Are travelling with Qatar Airways*
    Have a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours at Doha International Airport.
    There are no other Qatar Airways flights with immediate connection (for the required date).
    The type and level of airfare that you pay will govern whether you receive the service free of charge (Complimentary) or for a fee (Paid).

To learn of your entitlement, please contact your local Qatar airways office or a travel agent when making your booking.
    *Code share/partner carriers: This service is offered on itineraries with code share partners, if one of the flights is operated by Qatar Airways and the other flight is marketed by Qatar Airways, but operated by another airline.

David
    Participant

Echoing much of what Businessclass has written;

The 777 (fully flat) is a better seat than the A330, but even as an angled-flat, the A330 is certainly not bad. On the A330s (the fit I tend to take ex Europe to Doha has 4 rows in Business and no First), I like row 4, window. Row 1 has an extension between the 2 seats to accomodate the TV screen and if you’re tall like me, this extension/divide can restrict space when I cross my legs.

You should be able to take advantage of the ‘free’ hotel in Doha as your layover is more than 8 hours. The only restriction I have seen on this is if you yourself have created the 8+ hour layover (ie. you chose to take a latter flight back home in order to have a meeting in Doha, do some sightseeing, etc.).

Overall, I think you will enjoy the Qatar Airways experience. I’m a big fan of BA (and this is normally my carrier of choice) but Qatar Airways, IMHO, win hands-down when it comes to entertainment options (IFE) and Business Class dining & wine selection.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Reading this thread I see the part about needing a visa. I realise not everyone contributing to this forum is British, but was it not the case that Brits did not need a visa to enter Qatar? Is this still the case or have the rules changed?

Sorry I cannot help on the best seat part!

watersz
    Participant

v.o.a about 100 in qatar currency for brit citizens and 32 others

Gold-2K
    Participant

The 777 biz seat is excellent. I had a bulkhead window and as mentioned by a previous post this includes an extension between the two seats to house the large screen. It does mean an extra obstacle when you want to get to the aisle.

In comparison the angled seats on the other long haul aircraft, the T7 wins hands down.

Travelling this evening to Doha on A330 in J so interesting to see what it feels like. I have opted for a centre aisle seat so I can get out easily. Coming back from Doha mid week in first so looking forward to that.

Re premium terminal, I have been in the business lounge only so far and in both cases for an 8am departure, the lounge was extremely busy and very difficult to get a seat ……. So it didn’t feel like the calm haven some of the other biz lounges provide. Also transit to plane on a “luxury” coach a bit 1980s.

However I understand in first I will have my own limo from the terminal to the plane so looking forward to that!!!

In flight experience VERY good. Food of very high standard and staff very attentive …… In fact a little too much in some cases. I too am a big fan of BA but can only dream of catering and service to the Qatar Airways standards ……. Ho hum!!!!!!

first_class_please
    Participant

Gold 2k – First limo sometimes a let down. Can be a Luxury coach sometimes or worse, sharing a 7 series with some other traveller, which. Find a little too close on my personal space with a stranger.

Passing through Wednesday night, will be hoping for some good cigar shopping.

Shanwick1249
    Participant

I generally have high praise for Qatar Airways. Its combination of fares and service is usually unbeatable. The transit experience at Doha is significantly better than with Emirates at Dubai (for example) – despite all the driving around in the dark at least you’re sitting down! – and the lounge is OK, if a little small. For sure there are not enough toilets or showers, particularly at peak periods, but again, it’s far better than DXB. If you’re a shopping person you’ll be disappointed by the current set up in the Premium Terminal but I assume that will change when the new terminal finally opens…

The biggest issue with QR is the disparity between its Airbus and Boeing cabins. As noted above, the 777 seats are properly lie-flat but the A330/340s are equipped with slide-onto-the-floor-torture-chairs. This is a general problem with nearly all A330 and A340 cabins and it can come as a bit of a shock to the system when you transfer from one seat to the other.

My definition of comfort on an aircraft is being able to sleep. The cheese selection is not so important. Any airline still operating without fully flat seats gets a big fat FAIL because of that. But if you can cope with the torture seats then you’ll be fine and you will be well looked after in every other way by QR.

I know some others on here have had different experiences but, as a frequent flyer with QR, I have never had a bad one.

Gold-2K
    Participant

Limo worked fine from the terminal to the plane and I didnt have to share with anyone else – which was a relief. Crew were exceptional, very attentive. Catering was very good although with the exception of Krug Champagne and the offier of Caviar, there was not much difference between first and business class food or service – same table cloth and cutlery – same small bowl of bread rolls, same salt and pepper. There was nothing wrong with any of it but I was expecting a little more for first class.

The big disappointment howerver – the seat (on A330) was so uncomfortable. It is a fully flat bed but the section of the bed from knees to feet had no padding at all – felt like a lump of plywood covered in a bit of material. The plane looked very new so I dont think this was a last generation product, but nowhere near the quality and feel of the new BA cabin – a bit stark and utilitarian with a splattering of middle east bling!

Also I was on the evening flight departing Doha at 1730 so there were no pyjamas available – apparently even in first class these are only loaded on the plane for overnight (and not evening) flights.

Also – TV screens bigger in Business class than in FIrst.

Business seat on 777 is good, fully flat so much better than BIz class on airbus aircraft – which I find a bit cramped and not great for sleeping. But FIrst seat on on A330 a bit of a disappointment really! Expected better of a “5 star” airline!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls