Qatar and other airlines to BHX

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

• Poshgirl58
    Participant

Yes Alex, I also double-check now, having been caught out once before. Once is enough, incorrect assumption that aviation-related source would be reliable! In fact, one site recently had an interesting thread about EK sending their oldest B777 to BHX. One contributor wanted to contact EK to complain about lack of respect being shown to BHX after many years. Was counselled not to take this action as it could result in total withdrawal of the lucrative DXB route. Also know of someone on the same site who frequently contacts Turkmenistan, PIA (and others) to find out when they’re returning to BHX.

Have checked again this morning and EK website still showing B777. Even tried a date in April, no luck there. EK are bringing back more of the 2-class A380s, showing on flight trackers as either shakedown or training flights. Unfortunately, have no news on Qatar.

BHX is poorly situated for attracting long-haul, although providing excellent transport links by road and rail (strikes permitting!). The “lure” of LHR and MAN is still strong for many travellers. Contrary to this, I know of people who use AMS, CDG, FRA services from BHX to connect to long-haul flights. I’m also curious about what Andy Street is doing to publicise BHX. The question has been asked which airport he used for recent trip to India; no answer forthcoming!

Returning to forum content, BT is always very professional. I don’t contribute very often but always check for anything interesting to include in enthusiasts blog, even if it’s only new route announcements.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1335107]Have checked again this morning and EK website still showing B777[/quote]

Hello Poshgirl58 – I am pleased to tell you that EK is now confirming its A380 service to BHX from July 1.

Emirates to restore A380 service on routes to Birmingham, Glasgow and Nice

1 user thanked author for this post.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Thanks Alex!

Let’s hope they mean it this time….

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

It seems that all that glitters is no longer gold as far as the sandpit airlines go.

Their brittle cabin service lack, of customer service and general lack empathy of customer needs beyond the rule book have been found out by the more discerning traveller.

A few years back many of our friends and business associates around the world were almost raving about these airlines – now most have resumed using the best of the Asian and legacy airlines.
    Their more sophisticated business travel market has it seems been hit hard and will not be recovered.
    It seems very possible to me that any growth for them is now coming from the holiday market niche and 3rd world markets

It is likely that at some point these airlines will be required to make a genuine profit and that from the side-lines prove interesting interesting I imagine.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls