Qatar and Credit Card Acceptance

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I had to change my return date from JNB to MXP today which is with Qatar. I’m normally very faithful to Swiss, but after a nasty experience with Lufthansa Mrs. LP swapped her loyalty to Qatar and persuaded me to try it, which I did. No complaints at all but my return will be with Swiss, I just don’t like the middle of the night break!

I had to pay €100 for two of us, no problem with that till I was told I’d have to go and pay this in person in either Rome or JNB within 24 hours! This is quite ridiculous as I’m 1,600 Kms from JNB.

I offered my European credit cards but they would only accept one issued by an Italian bank – which I don’t have.

Neither would they or JNB accept my S. African Visa debit card. They even wouldn’t accept a bank transfer.

I pointed out my Swiss status and the fact I can book and pay any flight anywhere with any of my cards and they were forcing me to keep the original flight. This would therefore be my last flight with Qatar.

Finally, after a supervisor intervened and pointing out its company policy to only accept a card issued in the country of booking, but they would exceptionally accept a bank transfer which I duly did.

I find this extraordinary and wonder if anyone else has come across this problem and how they solved it?

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

This is indeed extraordinary and you have my sympathy. But airlines have some very strange policies when it comes to credit cards.

Some 9 months ago I lost my credit cards and had to get a new set, with of course new numbers as the old accounts were frozen. I had a booking with SQ made (and paid for) before the cards were lost and I rang them to tell them that I would not be presenting the card I had made the booking with because it had been lost and stopped.

This caused a complete meltdown in their system. For many flights SQ say you have to be able to present the card the booking was made with “for security” when you check in – they do not always ask to see it but reserve the right to do so. And there is it seems no way in their system to override this or explain why one cannot do so. I offered to show my passport – not, apparently, good enough proof of identity. I offered a Star Alliance FF card (South African Airways as it happens not SQ, but still Star Alliance). Also not good enough. Eventually we agreed on a letter, signed by a senior SQ official, authorising me to travel without the aforementioned credit card and authorising the check-in clerk to override the system.

Needless to say on this occasion they did not ask to see the card so I did not need to use my letter. But really – what a farce, and does anyone who makes up these rules ever think them through?

stevescoots
    Participant

I have made changes before and used UK, China and HK cards before. never had a problem or had to do in person. only stipulation was I needed to bring that card with me at check in

LuganoPirate
    Participant

But were you using a card from the same country where the ticket was issued Steve? That seemed to be the problem with my change of booking.

stevescoots
    Participant

LP,

no, generally my tickets have been E issued from UK but I have used mu HK and China Visa cards before to change

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

I know SQ can be totally pedantic over cards however all they need is the last four digits of the card number on the occasions they ask for it. I’ve often told them the numbers rather than hand the card over and never had a problem with that.

anuhya5
    Participant

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

That was really saddening to know, usually, airlines come up with the weird policies when it comes to a credit card. if you are not using the card from the same country where the tickets have been issued that might be a big problem. your card will only be accepted if it is issued in the country of booking. if you still facing problems talk to a Credit Acceptance customer service or write them via credit acceptance email

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller April 2020 edition
Business Traveller April 2020 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls