Qatar Airways to unveil "enhanced economy product" this week

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

Business Traveller will be at the event at ITB Berlin on Wednesday, and will report on the details in full then.

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/press-releases/2019/February0/EnITB2019.html?activeTag=Press-releases

AircraftLover
    Participant

I am looking forward to reading this article

frustratedflyer
    Participant

So the big question is does ‘enhanced’ just mean a new economy product or premium economy. Enhanced for me would be removing one seat to 8 across on the 787.

sparkyflier
    Participant

This will be interesting- as frustratedflyer asked, what product will this be? I suspect it will be a premium Y like other Oneworld members JL,CX, IB & BA etc, but perhaps they are going to be bold and have a world leading Y product which is a true enhancement.

And a way to do that would be decent seating, starting with 8 across rather than 9 on the 787. This seating is very tight and the Qatar 787s are I hear even more uncomfortable- perhaps the worst long haul seats worldwide.

After all the 787 was designed to be 8 across and JAL (the only operator using this configuration) probably has the world leading Y product on 787, so perhaps Qatar had aspirations to be world leaders in all classes.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Teaser video here…

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=921445]So the big question is does ‘enhanced’ just mean a new economy product or premium economy.[/quote]

From what I can see this new seating will not feature on the airline’s longer or most important routes.

I wonder for how long Qatar Airways, like the other Gulf carriers, can ignore the trend towards premium economy and especially on its longer routes to Europe, the US and Australasia.

If one Gulf carrier were to adopt premium economy the others would follow as sure as night follows day.

Maybe Emirates will be first ?

As we have reported previously the carrier’s president Sir Tim Clark said premium economy was under consideration.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Further details here.

Al Baker said it would be rolled out across the long haul fleet after first being installed on the new A321neos…

Qatar Airways to introduce new economy class seating

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls