Qatar Airways to restart LGW to DOH services in May 2015 with 787

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

• Anonymous

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Good Afternoon

Just to advise that Qatar are restarting services to Gatwick next May using the 787. QR35 / 36 will leave Doha at 02:20 arriving LGW at 07:00 and return at 09:25 arriving Doha at 18:45.

Also the EK15/16 service from Gatwick to Dubai will be upgraded to A380 from next July.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Thanks for the update, Tim.

Guess that means EK will have two daily A380 flights out of LGW.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

That’s right – then just the night from DXB to LGW which I guess will happen late 2015 or early 2016. I have a lot of clients on South Coast when flying Business get the free car to take them to LHR as they prefer the A380. So now LGW is a better proposition – especially as the 2 flights that will be A380 operated are the best for connections to Australia and Far East and back.

SimonS1
    Participant

Excellent news. Another good reason not to have to trolley round to Heathrow.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi Simon

I thought you might like that piece of news!

SimonS1
    Participant

Indeed Tim even with 1 x 380 and 2 x 777 it can be a job getting a flight on EK from Gatwick these days,

The only think about the QR flight is it doesn’t really connect well in Doha with the Johannesburg flight or other African destinations..

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Emirates are also to announce triple daily from Birmingham in addition to other announcements regarding UK growth.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Tim –

Thanks for the update. I imagine the third flight will be operated by a B777/A330 ?

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi Alex

I didn’t ask that question. I assume it will be 777. Newcastle is staying 1 daily. There are other announcements as well but I don’t have details – my guess is either an extra Scottish flight into Glasgow or possibly Edinburgh (but I guess Glasgow as they have the new lounge there) and maybe more on Heathrow if they have secured slots. LGW will go all A380 eventually, but July is date for 2nd A380 service.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Thanks, Tim.

In a way I’m surprised that EK hasn’t yet announced a service into Stansted. A service was rumoured but, to date, nothing has happened.

Airport management has been wooing the Gulf carriers and it would surely offer them attractive inducements.

It is true that long-haul airlines have, to date, failed at Stansted. But if anyone can succeed there it must surely be Emirates (thanks to its sixth-freedom passenger traffic).

cityprofessional
    Participant

Stansted would be interesting for EK

The airport is pretty grim though – Border Control can barely handle the existing demand, and the queues, even on wet Tuesdays in November, are embarrassing. Could it handle a fully laden 777? Are there sufficient premium facilities?

Cambridge is already within range of the Heathrow chauffeur service (70 miles), and the rest of London can be chauffeured to the premium facilities at LHR or LGW, so I’m not sure what the incentive for flying out of Stansted would be – beyond price

Surely better to add a flight to LGW, or go all-A380 there? Or buy another slot at LHR from someone (like JV-partner QF!)

ChrisJR
    Participant

I guess QR will fly out of Gatwick’s north terminal and use BA’s lounge facilities? Wont be as good as LHR T4 QR lounge. Interesting QR already flies five different aircraft to LHR – A380, A340, A330, A319 and a B7773. This B787 would make it six totally different aircraft between two cities for one carrier (assuming they don’t swap out any of the above LHR aircraft) – that’s got to be a record? If I can travel on all of them, would that also be worthy of a record….?

MrMichael
    Participant

ChrisJR, only if you do it in a day!

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Emirates are also looking at a 6th daily flight from LHR to DXB between EK8 and EK2 – so roughly a 11:00 from Heathrow to DXB. I guess this would means an 04:00 ish flight from Dubai to London if they don’t keep it on tarmac overnight (I think a late 18:00 to LHR arriving for 22:00 would be a good one).

Also MAN will get a 2nd A380 service next year. My Emirates contact wanted to know where I got all this info – trade secret. But he didn’t deny any of it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls