Qatar Airways to reactivate almost its entire A380 fleet

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Qatar Airways to reactivate A380s

Last October we reported that Qatar Airways would be returning four of its 10 A380s to service.

Then in November in a media statement CEO Akbar Al Baker said that the grounding of iys A350s left it with no alternative but to “temporarily bring back some of our A380 fleet on key winter routes.”

But the reinstatement of the A380s will last far longer than was originally expected.

Today Qatar Airways’ commercial director Thierry Antinori (who previosly held posts at Lufthansa and Emirates) confirmed that a further four A380s would be returned to service.

It’s reported that the A380s would be rostered for various connections to Europe and Asia.

3 users thanked author for this post.

BPP
    Participant

I for one am quite pleased about this as I have always appreciated the airy Business Class cabin and on-board lounge. They just need to review the Business Class fares for Nov/Dec which (presumably because of the football Wold Cup) are at the moment quite absurd.

5 users thanked author for this post.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

I think you will find that they have reviewed their fares and decided that, yup, they can well and truly ‘mint it’ during the World Cup.

6 users thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[postquote quote=1207233]

And not just Qatar and not just for the World Cup. I’ve found fares have increased substantially on all airlines probably due to people being able to fly again and to recoup the losses they made during shutdowns etc. My South Africa – Europe (premium cabin) fares have gone up by over 50% on all airlines.

FormerBA
    Participant

The fare increases are absurd. For example most of Europe to DPS for the summer are north of £5000. Levels never seen before.

I suspect a lot of it is to do with the drop in capacity and the fear that some countries will not fully reopen. Indonesia being a case in point. If they drop the restrictions then fares may again fall, especially from the EU where the costs of living is biting just as much as it is here. Lets face it, leisure J is discretionary spend and I don’t believe the current fares levels, even if justified, are sustainable.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    BPP

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=1208686]The fare increases are absurd. For example most of Europe to DPS for the summer are north of £5000. Levels never seen before.[/quote]

I do not know what dates you checked but just now I checked for midweek travel in July (for a two week stay) and QR’s website quoted £1,000 + for Y and around £3,500 for J return.

Yes these prices higher than normal times but they are far less than £5,000 + !

DavidSmith2
    Participant

BA just cancelled my flight from LHR to Accra next month on what would have been a tired old 777. I refused a date change so they have moved me onto Qatar instead. for me that will be first ever time on an A380 (LHR-Doha) then a Dreamliner on to Accra. A much longer travel time but a new experience and should still get me there in time for a morning meeting. Result!…. I think.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

[postquote quote=1208697]

Take a look at Qatar´s fares for the World Cup in November/December !!.

BPP

cwoodward
    Participant

To some degree I suspect a forced decision by Qatar as of course Airbus have refused to take new orders from them for the A350 and variants.

FormerBA
    Participant

EX LHR J Class

The cheapest fares on ITA matrix for travel 22 Jul return 8 August is in excess of £4000. TK is over £5000 and QR £6905.

EX AMS the range is £4400 to £10500
    EX ARN the range is £2300 to £6600
    EX MXP the range is £4000 to £8000

Fares have been at this level for July / August travel for almost 6 months now.

Interestingly if you travel GOT to SIn the fare can be had for £1700 and you then add on the SIN DPS separately. Bu the point is airlines are not discounting as they once did.

DavidSmith2
    Participant

I will be on a Qatar A380 early in June – London-Doha. I think this will be my first Qatar flight since 2009 so I am sure things have changed a bit. Also my first time ever on an A380.

Grateful for any thoughts and advice from check in at Heathrow, best business seats, transit in Doha (2.5 hours) or anything else I should watch out or look out for. Hints & tips.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If all runs smoothly, just go with the flow and enjoy every second of the QATAR business A380 service. If things do run smoothly your only ‘complaint’ should be that the flight went too quickly. Service on board, excellent and you should try the bar in the sky on the 380. Meet some very interesting people.

My experience of the transit in DOHA is they know what they are doing. Fast, efficient & sometime there is transit security, sometimes there is not…

In peak periods the main lounge gets very busy, don’t be put off if there is q to get into the restaurant. The wait wont be too long. There is however a shortage of showers, so if you want a shower try to get to the showers asap.

Enjoy…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls