Qatar Airways to Operate First 787 at LHR

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• JohnHarper
    Participant

I travelled on the 787 DOH-LHR yesterday as part of a return journey from BKK. When I booked it was scheduled to be something else and I hadn’t really thought about it until I was told at BKK check in that I had been reseated.

The new C cabin is excellent, very similar to CX but with one or two additions and I think the seat is slightly softer in the flat position. Service IME on the LHR-DOH route is impeccable and QR seem to schedule their more experienced crews on this service.

The increased window size in notable and the mood lighting good but that’s not a unique feature any more. The cabin is certainly quieter than the 777 but I don’t think it matches the A340/380. While the C cabin is great, I had a walk and the Y cabin looks very crowded, it was about 70% full. I tried a seat and I wouldn’t like to have sat in it for too long. A man I spoke to who was travelling in Y confirmed that he had experienced better and in particular QRs 777s and he was less than pleased by the equipment change.

All in all, it’s a bit like being on a plane!

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

I’m glad my flight wasn’t changed to be on a 787, I still have no wish, based on nothing rational to set foot on it.

I must say, I feel for the man who thought he was getting a worse seat on the world’s newest aircraft. That really isn’t a good advert.

stevescoots
    Participant

Well, I am typing this in the business cabin, using the on board wifi (free for 25mb) currently over turkey @ 40,000 ft 🙂 I sent the other half an SMS as well. QR dont let you make mobile calls, but i just had a perfectly good skype call to china. we tried the webcam and that worked as well but very laggy

I think the cabin way surpases the 777’s QR are using. much more spacious yet more private and personal feel. the closest I can come to in terms of layout is CX new business. just similar. Oryx system is pretty much the same as before just new interface and huge screen. the seat is excellent, working space and storage very good, not much more to say that other reviewers have not already said. Hard to tell if the whole cabin pressure/increased humidity etc is making a diffrence, thsi is the final part of my leg from HKG, so was feeling pretty rough from that before boarding this flight.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Sounds fabulous Steve. I’m just a bit worried by the faults that seem to be appearing on the 787’s!

stevescoots
    Participant

I was very impressed by the interior, I can see why they have not put a first class in. the feeling of space with the head hieght and the 1+2+1 layout is great. the working area is excellent and i have my phone, tablet and lappy on the go all at once. I definatly noticed the cabin pressure difference (hopefully not a placebo effect) I suffer with blocked and painfull ears with every flight, certanly on this i only had to adust my ear pressure once. i also noticed the extra humidity, usefull for someone like me that suffers dry skin.

The bar was a nice touch but to be honest I think QR would be better sticking some more seats in that space. I wasnt aware of anyone using it, I grabbed some bubbly and food from it during a toilet break but its not a stand up and chat area.

downsides. the only ones I found were what you woudl expect on a first generation of a new model, tings that only tine can debug. my table, nice as it was i coudl not get to latch properly on take off without giving it a thump (pretty much like all BA tables!) and the toilets while nice fresh modern and spacious had a cheap plastic feel to them and i dont see them lasting long before the trim is broken and worn out. I didnt like way the door mechanism was a full door slide and turn effort (no bifold) and one of them was already faulty, I unlocked and it didnt unlock properly and a swift kneekick to the hinge got me out.

in all very impresed with Qatars Dreamliner and will definatly be trying to get those birds on my monthley rounting out there.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Steve glad you had a great flight and the new seat lives up to the expectations from the pictures. But why do you add an extra 5 hours to your flight to HKG and not take a non stop service with another carrier? I mean you already have to drive over 2 hours to get to LHR plus its not environmentally friendly.

stevescoots
    Participant

Becky, because the QR flight was only £1650 inc tax, which can be had from QR at most times. Direct flights were all 3 grand, BA, CX, VS etc. i have just booked the same for march. If I could get a direct anywhere near that unless its once in a blue moon sale then i do the direct route.

As I had wifi the 5 hours lost time was actually made up from all the working time i had as well.

Please Becky dont try to hit me with a green guillt trip to convince me to pay way over the odds for a direct with our flag carrier. I pay enough cooked up green taxes aroudn the world tax to clear my soul of enviromental sins

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Pity the airlines dont consider the environement when pricing. If they did Becky, then using ex-Europe tickets or indirect routings would appear less attractive.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls