Qatar Airways to invest in a southern African airline says CEO

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

As of now we do not know the name of this airline but, according to Reuters, its identity will be revealed in two or three weeks time.

Qatar Airways wants to expand its African network.

https://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/tea/business/qatar-airways-to-invest-in-an-airline-in-southern-africa-4623734

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/qatar-airways-invest-an-airline-southern-africa-2024-05-15/

1 user thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Very, very interesting.

I guess options include SAA, Mozambique, and maybe TAAG Angola? I think Zambia Airways is out as ET have a share in that (although growing at a smail’s pace).

SAA would seem the obvious one but wonder if TAAG is an outside bet. Its location lends itself to being a hub option if given much more feed and there is a substantial population there.. as well as many oil and gas execs who would fill the J cabins.

Rferguson2
    Participant

I’ll put my money $£ on Rwanda Air and SAA

2 users thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

I had eliminated Rwandair as I think they are already a shareholder? Stand to be corrected with that though.

tomwjsimpson
    Participant

Upping their stake in Rwandair to 49% I believe!

sparkyflier
    Participant

But Rwanda is not in “Southern Africa”. And I think their share is already 49%?

AndrewinHK
    Participant

I think the only real contender is SAA unless they acquire Air Link to help feed traffic through Kigali and secure feed in SA which has become complicated now that Comair has gone. This strategy from Qatar is interesting and potentially game changing for One World in Africa (assuming all Rwandair and the ‘southern African airline’ join. TAAG probably is in the wrong location given QR’s investment in Rwandair and a Qatar also own a 60% share of Kigali airport.

cwoodward
    Participant

If this happens in any of the configurations mentioned it is great news for SAA and African aviation. I did hear something about 3 weeks ago but it was then believed that the suiter was another of the ME airlines.

Personally I wish it was not a ME airline that was the cartelist but OW Qatar are the best of them and will do a decent job.
    Air Link is owned by a large Ireland based aviation conglomerate and I doubt that they are interested in selling given that there is room in SA and Southern Africa for a well run lower cost airline and SAA will be aiming to position themselves primarily a full fare local and international airline.

syclik5
    Participant

All of Rwanda lies to the south of the Equator

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Yesterday Bloomberg [paywall] also carried the news.

In the headline Bloomberg notes “Carrier [Qatar Airways] is also finalising acquisition of 49% of RwandAir stake.”

The other African airline remains a mystery.

Bloomberg notes “Qatar Airways is set to invest in an unidentified airline based in southern Africa in the coming weeks as it looks to expand its footprint in the continent.”

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I cam across this X/tweet from Qatar’s Economic Forum where QR’s CEO confirms investment to be made in, as yet unnamed, southern African airline.

Abidjan
    Participant

Love the RwandAir move. Not too confident in any move related to SAA, if that occurs,

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls