Qatar Airways takes 9.99 pct stake in BA-owner IAG

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• transtraxman
    Participant

CAPA has published this article today.
    “Qatar Airways buys its 10% stake in IAG, showing it wants a serious relationship”

http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/qatar-airways-buys-its-10-stake-in-iag-showing-it-wants-a-serious-relationship-207595

TominScotland
    Participant

BT, is there any particular reason why this has not been covered in the BT news section? I would have thought it rather more significant for business travellers than new Easyjet livery………

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Interesting point, and one we’ve debated.

We try and focus on matters that are directly relevant to travellers.

Significant though this share deal may prove to be in the long run, in the short term no flyer will notice any difference to the service they receive from BA (say) or Iberia, as a result of the purchase of a 9.99% shareholding by Qatar Airlines of IAG. In fact, the vast majority of passengers haven;t even heard of IAG.

For the same reason we don’t run stories about the profits (or losses) of the airline and hotel companies, or the movement of executives in them.

TominScotland
    Participant

A fair call, I guess although you could argue the same about the IAG bid for Aer Lingus. To adapt your statement above:

Significant though this bid may prove to be in the long run, in the short term no flyer will notice any difference to the service they receive from Aer Lingus or, indeed, BA, as a result of the bid for Aer Lingus by IAG. In fact, the vast majority of passengers haven’t even heard of IAG.

I also think there has been coverage on BT of share acquisitions by Etihad in Aer Lingus and Alitalia, although I may be wrong there.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Well we probably could be more consistent about it, but sometimes reporters get enthusiastic about reporting on the industry, and sometimes it’s a slow news day.

We wrote about Etihad taking a majority stake in the Alitalia loyalty programme yesterday, but that’s because there will be changes to travellers

“Importantly, this investment also ensures MilleMiglia’s members will benefit from exciting long-term plans to develop Global Loyalty Company into a broader, multi-partner loyalty program across the core markets of Italy, Germany, India and the United Arab Emirates.”

To celebrate the acquisition, those who register to join MilleMiglia before February 28 will receive a double welcome bonus of a total 4,000 miles.”

canucklad
    Participant

Morning Tom
    I would think that Qatar’s purchase of 9.99% IAG’s shares is only news worthy if it directly impacts on how the current board make decisions on theday to day running of any airline in the IAG group.

You do make a relevant point though, because if a company and their board is a basket case, and case in point, in Scotland ,even if you have no interest in football, the comical shenanigans created by a individual purchasing 9.99% shares is huge news , especially for those affected.

So although the % amount of shares might be the same, the influence Qa will have on BA is negligible.

So following my logic, IAG gobbling up EI is totally newsworthy ,because as Pat Jordan points out , how is this Gold Circl membership going to be affected . Personally I was very thankful for the advice given on the forum following the sad demise of BD and the transition of my Diamond Club to the inferior BAEC.

Cheers for pointing out my mistake (see next post)…. Require another coffee. : )

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yes, those are the sort of debates we have. We don’t want to turn into an industry website / magazine and need to stick with consumer news, and it’s always interesting deciding where to draw the line.

Swissdiver
    Participant

And anyway, we are here to write on the forum about those news you decided not to cover… 🙂

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Absolutely 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls