Qatar Airways prices

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

• capetonianm
    Participant

I have always thought that because of Weights and measure laws all scales must be calibrated and that to tamper with scales is a criminal offence?

Theoretically yes.

Another reason not mentioned yet as to why airlines charge for XBAG is that it (in my airline days) was paid out at USD20/kg if lost, meaning that we would only pay out on the basis of the weight the check in agent had recorded. I remember an incident where someone’s baggage was lost, inbound from Canada, and when he arrived at our station it was nowhere to be found. He filed a complaint, description, and a list of contents as he was entitled to do. When I looked at the list of contents I had a quiet chuckle as every item of clothing from suits down to underpants and socks was Armani, Gucci, etc. There was also a Leica camera with telephoto and wide angle lenses ……. and he claimed that the bag weighed 30 something kgs (he was in Y and was allowed 20). He ‘couldn’t remember’ how much he’d paid for XBAG. The whole story was suspect and the manual check in record at the board point showed 14 kgs.

We tracked the baggage and eventually got it back after its 4 day adventure. Customs had opened it and I had to bring it back from the airport to the office where I opened it to verify with him that the contents were intact. Someone had ‘stolen’ all the designer label clothes, the camera, etc and replaced them with tatty old stuff. He looked pretty crestfallen his scam was revealed.

I assume it works the same these days, that the the greater the weight of checked baggage, the more the airline is liable to pay out in the event of loss, which is one of the many reasons they charge for XBAG.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

When I first started travelling internationally for business about 40 years ago excess baggage was charged at the rate of 1% of the standard one-way first-class fare for every kilo in excess of your allowance. Now that could really get expensive!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=997273]Yes!!

Recently ordered a DB11 with what they call a “smokers pack”. Ludicrously expensive, but only a tiny fraction of the cost of the car.[/quote]

Beautiful car. Congratulations. Was it the Coupe or Volante? I have to admit I’m also very tempted, and what a way to travel!

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=998283][/postquote]

Volante.

Just hope I will be allowed to drive it at some point!!

1 user thanked author for this post.

alistairNicoll
    Participant

I have absolutely zero sympathy with anyone who takes the view that they are entitled to exemptions to luggage allowances whether in the hold or the cabin and even less with those who winge about not been given special treatment.

perhaps I should demand a discount for the usual 20 kilos below the allowance that I travel with

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls