Qatar Airways – Inedible Economy Class Food

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

Last week I flew Edinburgh to Bangkok (via Doha) on Qatar in Economy.

Is it me but the food on every leg was appalling ? (I’d go as far as to say it was unfit for human consumption).

They seem to have dropped the ball (I don’t remember it being that bad a couple of years ago).

They’ll be competing with Emirates from Edinburgh in October, no comparison in economy (food and space wise (although I understand the B787 is being replaced with an A350).

Also they do not respect high status oneworld members (I am emerald / exec club gold) and was made to feel like an inconvenience.

On the whole, not a five star experience (maybe I’ll try Cathay for my next trip).

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

There is the promise of an improvement in the economy food, though I’m not sure when that is going to happen.

The CEO Akbar Al Baker said that there would be “Bigger casserole dish, bigger tray, improved catering” during an interview last week in Doha.

Alex McWhirter
    Participant

One hopes it’s not cost-cutting. Mistake to cut back on things which almost all passengers notice and especially on long flights where catering is all-important.

Chris
    Participant

has a similar experience on the way to HK in Y in November. Some of the worst food I’ve ever had on a plane. Had it been BA i wouldnt have batted an eyelid but QR used to be so good in all classes.

Business class on the return was not much better.

I always felt it was inevitable once they got their ground offering in place (new airport) they could strip back service elsewhere. Sadly Ive been proved right.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=868061]One hopes it’s not cost-cutting. Mistake to cut back on things which almost all passengers notice and especially on long flights where catering is all-important.[/quote]

Good point! Assuming I’m not in physical pain while seated in economy (at 196cm and 125kgs), it’s things like food and entertainment that I pay more attention to, especially when it’s absent or doesn’t meet expectation. If the QR Chief wants to fulfull his promise that QR Y class is more like other carriers’ premium economy, the food needs to be top notch.

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

EU Flyer – last week it was 1970s British Rail standard (I gave up and refused it on my return legs, the crew were shocked that somene would do that)

I suspect my comments to Qatar Airways Customer Service will be ignored

Montysaurus
    Participant

Re AisleSeatTraveller’s comment on BR catering in the 70s.

Restaurant car meals were good – I know because I travelled and used restaurant cars regularly in those days.

The only meals better on the UK railway now are GWR’s Pullman Dining which I would commend.

Recently someone banged on about how much the rail system had improved since privatisation and it turned out he was 5 when privatisation occurred!

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

i meant the crappy sandwiches etc from the buffet car (i.e the part that had an appalling reputation and most had access to)

as for rail privatisation, more trains, more passengers, same number of strikes – improvement (but not the point of this post which is about crappy Qatar food (on a day they announce enhanced premium food))

capetonianm
    Participant
      This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

Hello
    We strive to create a sophisticated dining experience made from the finest available ingredients.

Advertising content.

Unlike some, when I report a post I do so openly. I thought the forum had been changed so that reports could no longer be made anonymously or without a reason.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hello,
    No, there isn’t the capability for it.
    I get a report when a post has been reported.
    Most of them are inadvertent, I think, since there’s nothing wrong with the posts, so I just unreport them.
    Then there are ones when things are getting heated, but I leave most of those as well.
    Ones like this – sad attempts at advertising I mark as Spam and then ban the user – that happens about 5 times a day at the moment.
    Then we had that user last week who went after FDOS but I was in Qatar and flying all day so it took a while to deal with…

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

i apologise that my post has generated some spam (that may have been a better menu option on my flight), my intention was to highlight the poor service I received

sorry again

JoePatroni
    Participant

I can guarantee your comments will be ignored. You’ll get a standard form reply and no real acknowledgement of either your complaint or high one world status. Comments will be forwarded to relevant department blah blah thank you for your continued business blah blah….

AisleSeatTraveller
    Participant

Joe – did you write their response (i was surprised to get one at all)

alainboy56
    Participant

I am very surprised at the negative comments here about QR food on board. As somebody replied, if the comments were aimed at or about BA, nobody would blink. However I am astonished at the negative comments and criticism aimed at QR for their food here. I do not fly QR as often as I did, due to my location, however I remain one of their strongest admirers. Moreover, I did fly into MXP on an A332 in economy and out again in Biz on a B788 a few months ago and I did not notice any reduction in service at all, in fact it was the usual 5* star offerings, both at the back and up the front. So what has happened?

capetonianm
    Participant

I have no first hand experience of QR, but a German/South African friend who travels a lot between US/EU and CPT/WDH and is fussy and difficult to please, started flying QR about a year ago after a bad experience with LH. She now swears that QR are the best. She usually flies C but sometimes Y and only ever has praise for the food and the service.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls