Qatar Airways – First Time

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

• Anonymous

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Well fellow posters, my wife after a very pleasant flight from JNB – MXP with Qatar persuaded me, with lots of arm twisting, to try Qatar when we fly to JNB in August. There is no F so it will be business class for us all. In fairness the 4 C fares (2 adults + 2 kids) is only slightly more than just my usual F fare but I am not looking forward to being turfed out of one plane in the middle of the night and then wait till 1 am for the onward flight, a time at which I would normally be sleeping. So I really hope the savings and comfort will make up for this?

Anyone else done this route or similar in Business and any hints or advice to give?

I looked at some other posts but they were all in Economy so I’m hoping the extra we are paying will be rewarded with better customer service etc. So far the booking process has been seamless, and they even pre-booked a block of four seats, for all four sectors, window/aisle for us as we are traveling as a family. This is something Lufthansa never does.

I think I’m looking forward to it but after my customary stress free treatment with Swiss on their direct route, I shall board with nervous trepidation!

First.Class.Please
    Participant

Qatar are pretty good, not a bad onboard product and food.

The Milan flights are served with the A330 plane, which have the 165 degree lie flat seats, which personally i don`t like.

The onward to JNB is the new 777L, which offers much more room and horizontal. You should get a good sleep on this flight heading south.

Coming back won`t be quite as good as you will go from daytime 777L to the night flight on a 333.

The lounge for me in Doha can get quite crowded on the few occassions i`ve used it. i`ve also never though much of the First class lounge either, it has a spa, but, you get charged for all treatments other than sittign in the massage chair.

Qatar took over Terminal A i think a few weeks back and all other foreign airlines went to Terminal B.

This may improve things a little.

All in, as far as value for money is concerned and 4 C for the price of 1 F, i don`t think you will be dissapointed.

Have you got the tickets already or is Etihad an option? Very good seats and good lounge in Abu Dhabi.

Or BA, should give you good sleep options on the longhaul flights then?

SaveFLR
    Participant

I often fly Qatar on C Class. I must say that is a good experience, and I confirm that 777 seats are better than 330 seats. But I always have many sleep hours, A couple of week ago I went from FRA to SIN and I had the classic midnight connection in DOH. Separate bus transfer, nice Premium Terminal with good C class lounge, not so crowded and with good food and beverages options, free wi-fi. DOH, waiting for the new airport coming within one year, has no connection bridges, so always bus transfer, sometimes very long if your arriving aircraft is parked on the opposite side of the runaway.
    Making a comparison I can say that Club World BA has a more private seat, but food and FA attitude are better on QR, Etihad same league of QR with a private but narrow seat. If you consider the great price difference with BA I think you will be satisfied, and I hope it of course.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks for that First and Save. Very helpful as I did not really know what to expect. I’ll let you know what I thought after the flights. The 777 seating sounds great and I for the price I’ll put up with the last leg to MXP on the way back.

I think the connections with Etihad are even worse, arriving round 2 and leaving at 5am. Also mrs. LP totally sold on QR. Didn’t consider BA as if I was doing the direct route I would stick with my favourite carrier, Swiss.

SaveFLR
    Participant

OK LP!
    Swiss is my choice when I go west, no doubt!

tarisingh
    Participant

what is their economy like – I’m going to Delhi with them – the fare was VERY competitive!

SaveFLR
    Participant

I have never been in QR economy, but I gave it a look a couple of times. It seems very nice, individual IFE screen, and a good pitch for legs. On the 777 they have the 3-3-3 layout, that is much much better than Emirates, Klm or others that have 3-4-3. I think that Flight Assistants are at a great level as in Business, food seems very good.

Tidmtrax
    Participant

Mrs LP would be right to be sold on Qr. I was, the first time I flew with Qatar. It was a refreshing and pleasant change to BA`s haphazard standards and service..

The ground and cabin crew are all pleasant well-presented individuals that maintain their appearance and charm at whatever time of day or night. They wear clean uniforms, even after an eight sector. Nothing appears too much trouble as they recognize that as a fair paying passenger you have a choice….

In LH business they are all 2 2 2 with plenty of room to move. The airbus angled beds are not as comfortable as the 777 lie flat and privacy may not be as good as NCW window but you all face the same way and as you are travelling as a family you will enjoy the space, and the children should not be bored with the amount of on-board entertainment.

The food has always been excellent, well presented, fresh (yes they serve asparagus) and slanted to the sector that you are on.
    Recent holiday trip with BA NFC was one of the worst BA flights I have ever been on. Apart from the seat/bed being excellent along with access to the Concorde room, the rest of the flight appeared to be an interruption to the crews few days off in paradise (Mauritius) the food was barely edible and to top it off my wife and I chose Cheese and Biscuits as dessert and we were presented with 4 biscuits and three pieces of past it`s best cheese slices. Between the two of us!!!

Sorry I`m ranting back to QR

Yes you have to stop and get on a couple of buses to change planes halfway through and you may have a couple of hours to kill between flights, but the Lounge is pleasant enough even for extended periods. It gets busy but it can also be virtually empty. (1700 Monday 4th July 6 people) If you are hungry you can eat from the buffet or have freshly cooked pasta dishes served, sandwiches made etc.

But as a business owner that has to pay my own fare, the fact that I can travel out on a Monday and back on a Friday without that (non) Saturday night surcharge and Business fares that are on average less than half the direct flight costs. QR business at this moment in time is my first choice.

stevescoots
    Participant

I fly QR just about every month LHR to HKG or CAN, wouldnt want to change it. teh only negative is the extra hours changing in Doha buit thats nothing in return for what you get compared to other main carriers and teh cost.

watersz
    Participant

I’m at Jakarta now flying to Doha
    and service is great

massive business lounge in a country where I’ve been treated like a king for the last month

first time i’ve had my own immigration officer at the lounge stamp my passport instead of queing with all and sundry.
    can’t fault it

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Thanks everyone, I’m feeling less apprehensive now and am quite looking forward to the experience. I re-qualified for Senator status with LX a little while ago so I’m not worried on that front, but of course I’ll have no status with QR. Hopefully that will not matter as we’re in Business (no F on these flights) so should get very good service nonetheless.

Hopefully no asparagus but the youngest usually falls asleep before take-off right through to landing (and yes, I’m envious) so no worries on that front either!

Swissdiver
    Participant

QR product is by far not homogenous. I hate their A330s as the seats are terrible (on both business and eco). But with their B777s, they offer an above average product. Old Doha airport (still in function) is a nightmare as no jetty is available (well I never saw one). For the GVA DOH flights for instance, the bus ride takes about 10 minutes non stop! Good IFE, OK food, good crew (actually appearance might be a criteria when they choose flight attendants :-)).

Safe travel.

David
    Participant

Hi LuganoPirate,

I certainly don’t think you will be disappointed. I fly Qatar Airways 5 or 6 times annually (Business Class) and have enjoyed each flight (I also fly BA, Swiss, Lufthansa, Austrian, and Finnair regularly – in Business – for comparison). The QR 777 is a much better seat than the A330 but then again, the A330 is no worse than Lufthansa’s or Swiss’s (angled-flat) seat.

Regarding the comments/complaints on “no jetties”; I don’t see this as an issue. QR will have a bus waiting for you at the bottom of the stairs for the exclusive use of Business Class passengers. While it can take 10 minutes to drive to the Premium Terminal, this is really no different then disembarking on a jet bridge, and then having to walk 10 minutes (or more) to a lounge, at another airport. This is actually an advantage if you are carrying any amount of carry-on luggage and/or children!

I think you too will find the Food and Beverage to be a notch above the other European airlines. For example, you will be able to order your choice of coffee onboard (latte, cappuccino, etc) instead of settling for the terrible (IMHO) coffee served on most other European carriers (exception to Austrian, who even offer a coffee menu!). BA for instance, uses (in CW) ‘bag coffee’ similar to a tea bag in their coffee pots.

As far as the Champagne is concerned, Veuve Cliquot (Yellow Label) is served in the Business Class lounge in Doha and Veuve Cliquot La Grande Dame is served in the First Class Lounge (something to remember should you be transferring to an intra-Gulf flight in the future. Most intra-Gulf flights are only 2 classes of service – First and Economy – and last not much more that an hour). A Business Class ticket purchased from Europe to an onward Gulf destination (via Doha) will put you in “First Class” on the final short leg.

Best wishes.

SaveFLR
    Participant

hi HOME@FL350,

Only to say I totally agree with your post.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls