Qatar Airways 49% purchase of Turkish Airways

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Jerome
    Participant

Are there any further updates on Mr Akbar el Baker’s announcement and confirmation of QR hvng purchased 49% of TK? Haven’t heard a word since the announcment. Hoping if true, that TK will move to Oneworld which desperately needs another large Europen airline that services South Africa. Oneword is the weakest alliance by far these days regarding services from South Africa to Europe

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=926285]Are there any further updates on Mr Akbar el Baker’s announcement and confirmation of QR hvng purchased 49% of TK?[/quote]

Is that correct ?

Qatar acquires 49% stake in Turkish?

According to Dailysaban.com it was denied by QR.

https://www.dailysabah.com/tourism/2019/03/21/turkish-airlines-denies-reports-of-stake-sale-to-qatar-airways

Jerome
    Participant

Following on the TK denial, Mr al Baker was seen on camera/video interview confirming the purchase. It all seems very strange. More so, the silence folling his video announcement. When Mr al Baker makes an announcemet, it is usually 100% factual. If anybody with concrete knowledge of the on/off deal can advise, it would be great, as many travellers around the world are waiting to hear more about this deal/story.

mkcol74
    Participant

[quote quote=926296]When Mr al Baker makes an announcemet[/quote]

Oh dear! Have you actually heard some of the stuff he’s come out with over the years?!

Jerome
    Participant

Anybody heard anything further about the Qatar Airways 49% acqisition of Turkish Airlines announcement? Too quiet to be true – I guess?

alainboy56
    Participant

I think one has to pull away from purely an aviation or airline question here. Qatar is at ‘war’ with its neighbours and Turkey also have not been flavour of the middle east since it’s interventions in Syria, opinions on Egypt/Libya and it’s support for Qatar. Also with what purportedly happened at the KSA Embassy in Istanbul last year has further pushed them both together. In the wider world, the Donald is screwing the Turkish lire. So what has developed is friendship and cooperation, financially, militarily and commercially, so this tie up, whether true or half true will not surprise me. As somebody commented to me last month ‘this is where Erdogen keeps his money.’

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls