Qatar Airmiles on Cathay Pacific

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• Anonymous

Andy/Thailand
    Participant

Hi All
    I am about to book Cathay Pacific DXB – HKG – BKK yes a long way round to BKK but want to try the business class seat, plus cheaper than direct, do I get air miles on my Qatar silver card. Also I take it The Wing is the lounge to go to.

first_class_please
    Participant

Yes and Yes.

Andy/Thailand
    Participant

Many thanks.

stevescoots
    Participant

yes, I used Cathay and my points were credited the same day,

IanFromHKG
    Participant

The Wing isn’t necessarily the best lounge if you “only” have business class lounge access (as opposed to F lounge access, for which I would indeed recommend The Wing). The Bridge and The Cabin are both combined F/J lounges, each with their own special characteristics. The Cabin (which I have been to) features The Deli, where you can get made-to-order hot sandwiches, antipasti and salads as well as the usual range of hot and cold buffet selections. There is also a Health Bar featuring freshly squeezed juices, smoothies and herbal teas.

The Bridge (whcih I haven’t visited yet) is divided into two wings, one of which features The Bakery serving freshly made bread and pizzas, as well as sandwiches, pastries, soups and salads. The other wing features The Bistro, which pretty much does what it says on the tin. It also features a Coffee Loft (ditto).

Recently BA crew member (and regular poster) rferguson visited The Bridge and preferred it to The Wing F lounge.

If you have time, I suggest you lounge-hop, and write us a comparative report for future reference! Just skip G16, which is terrible (the ex-Dragonair lounge, which is overdue for refurbishment and caters much more for the mainland Chinese market)

I would just add The Pier, which is a more traditional lounge, is currently undergoing refurbishment of the F lounge section so part of the J lounge has been cordoned off for those eligible to use an F lounge. Although I haven’t visited since the refurbishment started (I prefer to stay in The Wing) I suspect it may therefore feel rather crowded (but I could be wrong, if others are avoiding it the way I am!)

I hope that helps

IanFromHKG
    Participant

BTW CX have two lounges at BKK, very close to each other. Those are combined F/J lounges, and frankly pretty ordinary. You are probably better going to the QF lounge if it is open – unless you have F lounge access, in which case use the BA lounge opposite (again, if it’s open). All those four lounges are within a minute’s walk of each other

Andy/Thailand
    Participant

Hi Ian
    Will give them a go, have 4 hours stopover, at breakfast time.
    Yes seen the lounges at BKK, quite basic but will give QF lounge a go if open.
    Thanks for your answers.

donkeyasia
    Participant

Ian_From _HKG, Andy Thailand
    you cannot use the QF lounge unless you are flying on BA or QF now. the QF lounge is only open fro a coupe of hours early afternoon, and from 1700-2400. the exception is that if the lounge of the One World airline you are flying is closed that may let you in, but with CX open for 18 hours, this will not happen in Bangkok or Hong Kong..

concerning QR points, since Qatar joined One World their points and mileage credits administration has improved out of sight.

stevescoots
    Participant

Hi donkey, when did that happen? 6 weeks ago I was flying QR and used the QF lounge in HKG instead of the allotted travellers lounge. I am QR emerald tier

donkeyasia
    Participant

Hi SC, my experience is in BKK, where the lounges are literally opposite. i too am an emerald QR status. i can use my QF Chairman’s Lounge card to get into the QF lounge, when it is open. In fact last year i had the problem in HKG while travelling on CX but a friend was flying BA. the response from reception was take him to the CX lounge as a guest. pathetic. consistency in applying the rules would be a good idea.
    Have you had any trouble getting into a One World lounge while flying on an non OW airline on a routing that BA/QF do not fly?

donkeyasia
    Participant

Even my Chairman’s Lounge card did not wash as i was not flying QF.

stevescoots
    Participant

I used my BA silver card in BA’s lounge in AMS when flying on a KLM ticket to CAN (it was closer to the gate than the KLM lounge)

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m looking at JNB HKG with CX later this year as they fly direct. Can I use my Qatar miles for a free ticket with CX?

stevescoots
    Participant

yes and no…QR are not fully integrated get so redeeming points on partner airlines requires an email to QR to request the partner airline…you know how well thats going to work!

also beware of codeshares on OW with QR. My colleague booked HKG-DOH in business. he paid cash and his wife was using points. they moved him to a CX flight leaving 10 mins after the QR one 2 days after the code share was announced but left his wife on the original QR flight. No amount of pleading or pressure will get them to change, they cite that CX will not accept the reward flight and he cannot go on the original QR flight as its overbooked and Qr will not move them both to another QR flight at another time…..not a happy flyer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls