Qantas to start Trans-Atlantic

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

But do AF have traffic rights from Tahiti to the US going Eastwards?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

But do AF have traffic rights from Tahiti to the US going Eastwards?

dutchyankee
    Participant

Hi LP, AF do have full traffic rights between the US and Tahiti both directions

canucklad
    Participant

If I’m not mistaken AF currently fly via LAX to Papeete and it’s probably subsidized to support the local economy.
    So why not start a flight to Beijing/Shanghai and encourage Chinese tourists to their little corner of paradise.. You’ve suddenly got a viable RTW route.

Although I suppose the perfect routing would be CDG-YUL-PAP –SAI –CDG

AMcWhirter
    Participant

UTA (later absorbed into AF) used to have traffic rights in this region too.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

canucklad: try doing an RTW with Sky via Tahiti – it doesn’t work – maybe it could (& would certainly be nice) but there are several carriers who could do decent RTW’s but don’t – I flew most of the the UA version some years back though I confess to avoiding some UA sectors by some interesting side trips.

I can see why you might want to get stuck in Tahiti though!

cityprofessional
    Participant

AF, UTA and Air Austral used to fly westbound from PPT to France via the NOU, SYD and SE Asia, but no longer do. So that’s put paid to that idea…

Is it April 2 yet?

canucklad
    Participant

Hi cityprofessional,
    I didn’t say AF were likely to commence a RTW service, I said its probably the only airline that could achieve it without entering complicated agreements.

And as icenspice has mentioned , with their remote but popular islands they could do so without constitutionally speaking ,leave the shores of Mother France!

transtraxman
    Participant

A good one canucklad

Of course, the sun never sets on Metropolitan France. AF could circumnavigate the globe without leaving France.

That is how Norwegian(as a European airline) is able to set up flights Martinique/Guadaloupe to the USA since those islands are included in the US – Europe open skies agreement.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Am I right in thinking Air India could do this too? They used to fly TATL, so it would have been possible to fly London – NY (or wherever) – India – London

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls