Qantas to start Trans-Atlantic

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

• EU_Flyer
    Participant

I tried to make it as realistic as possible. The LHR via SIN routing is actually something that many Aussies want to see return and Qantas has announced it’s considering SYD – Chicago direct flights when they get their 789s. The SYD – DFW flights have been very popular as they feed into AA’s hub and bypass LAX.

As for the choice of Emirates to code with, given that QF have an existing JV with them – it seemed more plausible than QR (who are already in bed with BA). Plus EK must have a lot of Skywards members who would like to fly ex LHR to the US.

Hope you enjoyed the prank. All in good fun.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Nice one Alex. Just read the thread and was thinking how great to have a real RTW again. Never mind. One day perhaps.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

LuganoPirate – 03/04/2016 22:54 BST

Thanks 😉

Air New Zealand, in the not too distant past, operated an AKL – HKG – LHR. They also operated a AKL -LAX – LHR. The result was that you could literally travel RTW with Air New Zealand.

Not sure any other airline offers this these days. Except perhaps Qantas some day?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Alex_Fly – I couldn’t see the regulators ever allowing a QF/EK code-share on the LHR-SIN route for a non-stop flight.

Why ? Well what connection does EK have to the LHR-SIN route ?

It’s like saying AC ought to code share on UA’s non-stop LHR-ORD flight.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Air NZ still provide perhaps the nearest RTW with their excellent “great escapade” ticket. Much cheaper than RTW tickets with *A, Sky & OW but with 29k mileage on the basic ticket and 15 stops/segments.

LHR-LAX-AKL-SIN with Air NZ but many options with Silk, SQ & Virgin – interestingly (annoyingly) it seems this is only available out of the UK

canucklad
    Participant

Morning Alex_Fly & Co…
    Your RTW comment got me thinking….so a poser…

As it stands, there is possibly only one airline that could offer RTW flights without the need for agreeing or indeed participating in complex bilateral negotiations.

Who are they ?

EU_Flyer
    Participant

canucklad – 04/04/2016 10:46 BST

Great question.

Emirates? Given that – due to their geographical position and the range of the 777-300ER/A380 -they can fly to most airports direct from Dubai?

AMcWhirter – 04/04/2016 09:59 BST

Good point. I don’t think EK would codeshare on the AUS- SIN – LHR sector, but if they could get their code on the LHR-ORD sector – I’m sure they’d like to. Qantas could perhaps get around it by tagging the LHR-ORD onto a AUS-DXB-LHR sector and EK could codeshare on the DXB-LHR-ORD sector if they could get the 5th freedom rights to sell LHR-ORD.

In any case, this idea was thought up in the context of 1 April joke. Whether it actually works from a regulatory perspective I haven’t fully considered. But it got some fun discussion going.

transtraxman
    Participant

The only airline that I can think of that would not need any bi-lateral negotiations to set up a round the world flight would be AEROFLOT or any other Russian airline.

However, would it count as they would be flying round the top of the world not circumnavigating the globe? That would mean flying south from Moscow down over South America to come back up over Australia.

Those that could do it with one stop in a different country are several including already mentioned ones. They would need, though, bi-lateral negotiations for stopping rights.

canucklad
    Participant

Both good answers but not correct.

And transtraxman , the airline I’m thinking about would be able to circumnavigate, over the equator and still avoid pesky legal wrangling’s

EU_Flyer
    Participant

Next guess is SQ given that Singapore seem to have open skies agreements with everyone, including some planets not yet discovered in our solar system?

PeterCoultas
    Participant

AlexF: Moscow-Bush and Fft-NY operate but then you need a codeshare to the west coast

paulkaz
    Participant

AlexF it must be Sq.They fly into Jfk from the east. They used to fly nonstop Sin Ewr from the west. This article says they ll reintroduce that flight in 2018 with A350.
    http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2015/10/13/singapore-airlines-nonstop-us/
    So a short cab ride completes the RTW sojourn.

cityprofessional
    Participant

I think you’ll find bilaterals are not an impediment to many flights at all. Economics and slots, however, are. Some examples:

UA – not long ago used to fly JFK-LHR-DEL-HKG-SFO-JFK & vv with full traffic rights

AC – used to fly YVR-LHR-BOM-SIN & vv with full rights

NZ – very recently flew AKL-HKG-LHR-LAX-AKL & vv

SQ is not prevented by bilaterals from flying UK-US (just as BA is not prevented from flying SIN-Oz). It is prevented by slots, however

So that’s just 4 airlines that can legitimately fly around the world. But choose not to burn cash doing so…

canucklad
    Participant

I’ll put you all out of your misery…..

The answer is……. Air France

icenspice
    Participant

Hi canucklad

I take it you mean via New Caledonia and Tahiti?

I propose today be designated International Day of Remote Islands.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls