Qantas Singapore to Perth – aircraft IFE and food

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Kopite
    Participant

I’ve just flown QF72 & QF71 in Y class. It was a short holiday – break so we took the cheapest ticket we could find.
    Disappointed to see that Qantas is flying a “domestic” A330-200 on this route – this aircraft usually operate east to west coast with Australia and occasionally to NZ. The big downside to it is no seat back TV. Instead you are handed an iPad and asked to set it up yourself for “entertainment” ! It has no live route map which I use a lot, usually to track where we are in flight and how long to landing. This is not available on the iPad. Another backward step in international travel. What’s wrong with a seat back TV as usual even in domestic flights? Is the saving for Qantas that great in weight vs the negative customer dissatisfaction?

On the plus side the food was great as one option was a main cold plate – something that more airlines need to adopt. Heating up food in an aircraft is not very good at the best of times, even when in a premium cabin. Qantas offered a smoked fresh salmon salad with mixed grains and salad. It was fantastic, the best airline main course I’ve had in years and far better than any airline re-heated options. Why don’t more airlines offer a cold plate choice?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello Andrew – It’s one of those routes to a leading hub and which the hub airline (in this case SIA) dominates.

But I am sure the A330-200 you would find the A330 to be an improvement compared to the B737 which Qantas used to deploy.

Qantas’s Perth-Singapore route getting larger aircraft but losing frequency

rferguson
    Participant

It’s worth pointing out as well that although PER-SIN is an ‘international’ flight it is not that much further in duration than some domestic flights within Australia. SYD-PER is 5hr10min, BNE-PER clocks in at 5hr40min. SIN-PER is scheduled 5hr10min. On the domestic flights (which charge pretty much the same fares as PER-SIN) it is the same wide body product although you can also totally luck out and get a 737 on certain flights with QF.

Up until recently QF were actually operating a short haul 737-800 between SIN and PER with normal recliners in Business so the A330 is a step up. Especially for those in Business Class as all the A330’s (long/short haul) are fitted with pretty much the same flat bed.

Singapore offers a better product but its fares also reflect this.

Glad to hear the food was good. QF tends to serve pretty decent meals in Y although definitely has room for improvement in J. I’m not a dan of their ‘small plate’ and ‘big plate’ format.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls