Qantas poised to announce huge Airbus order tomorrow

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/qantas-order-long-range-airbus-a350s-part-wider-deal-sources-2022-05-01/

Reuters is reporting that tomorrow (Sydney time) Qantas will announce a major order for Airbus aircraft.

Part of the order will comprise 12 A350-1000s the aircraft type which Qantas wants to operate its planned Sydney-London non-stop flights.

The latter, according to Reuters, are set by start by mid-2025.

Yesterday an A350-1000 departed Toulouse with the word Qantas painted along its fuselage.

Meanwhile an Air Baltic A220 has already arrived in Sydney. Qantas is said to be ordering 20 of these aircraft.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Our copy is posted below.

Since the copy was published a former Qantas executive in London told me:

“This is a pivotal point in Qantas’ history. Long ago, when Qantas was solely a domestic airline, the company’s boast was that it was an all-Boeing airline. This is a real coup for Airbus.”

Qantas’ Sydney-London non-stops move a step closer

cwoodward
    Participant

It seems that the order will be for twelve Airbus A350-1000 ULR aircraft, and also twenty A321XLRs and twenty A220s, as well as options for 106 other aircraft over the next 10 years.
    The order has been ‘in the works’ for several years and Qantas currently runs a very old fleet for a major international airline with 96% of it fleet being older than 13 years.
    For decades Qantas has been a ‘Boeing’ airline thus this is a real kicker for them as they would no doubt have worked for years to secure it.

cwoodward
    Participant

Details now of A350 interior and some seating:

The West Australian

“While designed for 369 passengers the A350 will only carry about 270 for the ultra-long-range flights and will be the roomiest of any Qantas jet.
    According to the insiders, the configuration of the A350 will be four classes and economy passengers will get a 34-inch (86.4cm) seat pitch, rather than the normal 31 inches (79cm).
    And the economy seats will be wider than those on the 787 and 747.
    The Qantas A350 economy seats will be 18 inches (45.7cm) wide – almost an inch (2.54cm) wider than those on the 787.
    First class, business class and premium economy will all be “significantly” enhanced with more legroom in premium economy, closer to Air New Zealand’s industry high 42 inches (106.7cm).”

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

However the interior today is full of technical equipment.

Some people wonder why it will take until 2025 for these ULH flights to commence.

One of the reasons is that the ULR A350-1000 is still being developed for certification.

This video clip shows the interior of the aircraft today in Sydney.

cwoodward
    Participant

I am not at all sure that I want to sit in an aircraft seat no matter how comfortable (or not) for a 20 hour stretch.

Better, at least for me to break the trip into 2 flights with a stop over in one Asia’s top destinations i.e. Bangkok, Hong Kong or even Singapore or one of the several other top spots for a couple of nights and arrive ready to go.
    As I recall some years – ah probably many years back some of these Asian destinations used to offer from time to time free stopovers in decent hotels in order to build their business then against the well established BA and Qantas . I would certainly go for a free stopover offer as I believe would many.

2025 end is a long way forward but the Asian airlines will need to offer good deals well in advance in order to keep their kangaroo route business.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

This is great news. I always prefers direct route.

I have done several SQ flights from Singapore to LA, Seattle and New York direct in business class. Those are max 17-18 hours, but I had no issue at all. Likely SQ service and business class helped. So I think 20 hours shall be manageable.

But I will try economy sometime in ultra long haul as well. For me instead of wasting 2 hours at a stopover and going through security hassles (at some airport), I can spend time walking and little bit exercise at the gully area. I believe these nonstop flights will be very popular.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls