Qantas B767-300 Economy

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

TominScotland
    Participant

I used this red-eye service between Perth and Brisbane to facilitate a short but necessary meeting, arriving in time for a hearty Queensland breakfast.

I parked in the long stay carpark at T4 in Perth and walked to the terminal, all of 5 minutes. I had checked in online but, as i had chosen an emergency exit row, was required to present myself in person in order to receive my boarding pass – in the event, I was offered by return boarding pass at the same time. As I had plenty of time before by 23.15 flight, i made my way through security and upstairs to the Qantas Club. This is a very large space but, with 6 red-eye flights (Qantas and Jetstar each with a service to Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney plus a Jetstar option to Cairns), the lounge soon filled up. The main client base appeared to be mine employees on their way east on leave. The Lounge has a service bar plus food and drink stations. Food options were limited to one hot dish (or slop as some on this forum would describe it were this review about BA) plus salads including Australia’s favourite – beetroot!!

Anyway, I was able to work using the excellent wifi facility unto the flight showed boarding. I made my way downstairs to Gate 15 and was able to by-pass the line via the premium route. The cabin is configured 2-3-2 and I was located in a forward emergency exit seat in seat B. This gives reasonable legroom but is constrained by a divider and the toilets. Seating was fine and the recline good. The pilot announced a very short flying time of 3′ 45″ and we were airborne on time. A meal and drinks service followed soon after take off even though I declined food options of a pizza snack or chicken with rice. I tried to sleep but could not get any decent rest – more me than the seat, I suspect. The cabin crew came through with drinks on a number of occasions before we landed in Brisbane at 05.10.

We were soon off the aircraft and I was in good time for the first Airtrain into the city. A good service, considering its relative brevity.

TominScotland
    Participant

My return flight from Brisbane to Perth on QF 767 was on the same type of aircraft as the night before – I even had exactly the same seat.

The Qantas Club in Brisbane is also a very large space and provides a variety of food and drink stations. The hot option available was somewhat more appetising in appearance than that in Perth the previous night. But wifi is good and flights are called so a good place to wait.

I went to the gate in good time and, even though the inbound was waiting there, nothing much was happening. The electronic notice kept changing boarding time by 5 to 10 minutes without any explanation from staff. Eventually we boarded about 25 minutes late – the problem was that the ipads available to all passengers as IFE had not charged so they had gone to get multiple copies of Top Gear magazine as an alternative!!

Once aboard we again waited and waited without explanation. Eventually, we got the non-travelling passenger and finding his luggage spiel. Overhearing cabin crew some while later it seems that the missing passenger had been removed by the Federal Police and, yes, his baggage did prove difficult to find.

Eventually, we pushed back 1′ 45″ late. Service commenced quickly and, after the delay, a hot meal was welcome. I chose chicken pasta which was nicely presented and absolutely fine except there was exactly zero taste. It was not offfensive, it was hot but it was totally neutral in all other respects.

I managed to get some sleep after that and woke on the approach to Perth where we landed about an hour and a helf late to an almost deserted airport. My long stay car park was only 5 mins walk from the terminal so I was soon on my way.

I remember my first Qantas 767 flight from Singapore to Brisbane in the late 1980s, fairly early in its career. They have not changed a whole lot and will soon be retired. A real widebodied workhorse.,

FrequentPR
    Participant

VA (Virgin Australia) have mostly far more modern A330s on its MEL and SYD to PER transcontinental routes, offering a more pleasant atmosphere than on QF. VA’s fares tend to be cheaper, especially in business class but to some extent in economy as well.

TominScotland
    Participant

Fair point, FrequentPR. There was really nothing in it, farewise, for the times I needed although you are right, VA’s service is with 332s. What swayed it with me was my oneworld status (and lounge access at times I know I would be there for a while) and the option to pick up 70 TPs (but hardly any Avios) in Economy for the return journey.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls