Qantas at LHR – Choice of lounge?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

• onajetplane
    Participant

Booked on the QF1 service down to sydney. Do I have to access the BA T3 lounge or is it possible to access the Cathay Lounge as a OW emerald? Web literature would suggest its BA or nothing? Thanks in advance!

esselle
    Participant

You should be welcome in the CX F lounge.

onajetplane
    Participant

@esselle – great thanks! That’s what I was hoping for!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

No probs getting into Cathay.

When I use the midday flight, I often pop into the AAlounges, for a proper cooked breakfast.

openfly
    Participant

The Cathay First restaurant menu is excellent and was changed last week….try the peanut soup!
    You can also use the AA First lounge which is of a much better standard than the BA Dungeon! Also in the AA lounges there are help yourself enormous jars of jelly beans….worth a visit just for that!!
    Spoke to the QF manager last week and his update on their lounge opening is….don’t hold your breath, but hopefully September!

onajetplane
    Participant

@fdos_uk, @openfly – thanks! Much appreciated. And great relief that I don’t have to end up in the “dungeon”. It’s the little things in life…

onajetplane
    Participant

Trip update… Checked in at LHR at QF desk. “Ba Lounge” was written on my boarding pass and I was told to proceed to the BA lounge. Proceeded straight to the Cathay lounge. Was given a very friendly welcome “so nice you chose to come to us even though they have written BA lounge on your boarding pass”. And immediately proceeded to the restaurant. What a difference to the buffet that would have awaited in the BA lounge. Very nice lounge. Would definitely recommend.

Moreover, was eligible for Emirates first lounge in Dubai as was ticketed on Qantas metal (have been rejected in the past because even though I was on a QF ticket was actually fly EK so emerald status didn’t matter) so that was a nice addition.

And then had a final flight from SYD across the tasman sea in Y class. Welcomed by name. Greeted by name throughout the flight. Offered business class head phones and asked did I want a glass of champagne. Having already done 15 sectors on BA this year and not once been greeted by name, how come QF can pull out all the stops even if I was seated in Y class. So telling.

regensburg
    Participant

I will be flying on EK5102 to Dubai, I know I can use BA & Emirates Lounges can I use Cathay Lounge ???

openfly
    Participant

@regensberg

It’s all bad news. If you are booked on Emirates you can only use the Emirates lounge. The BA, Cathay and American lounges can only be used if you are booked on a One World carrier in a Premium class with a silver/gold card (or equivalent).

regensburg
    Participant

Last year I booked same flight and was told I could use Ba or Emirates, so I was wondering if I could use cathay

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=795536]Last year I booked same flight and was told I could use Ba or Emirates, so I was wondering if I could use cathay

[/quote]

EK5102 is actually operated by Qantas. If the boarding pass says Qantas (QF2) and you’re in Business Class, irrespective of oneworld status, you can probably get into the CX lounge.

If it says EK then, as others have suggested, you may not have any luck. Good luck!!

regensburg
    Participant

Thanks

EU_Flyer
    Participant

[quote quote=795541]Thanks

[/quote]

My pleasure! Sometimes it helps to play a little ‘dumb’ and just say “…but I’m flying Qantas. They’re in oneworld yes?” and make no mention of Emirates.

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

[quote quote=794236] Having already done 15 sectors on BA this year and not once been greeted by name, how come QF can pull out all the stops even if I was seated in Y class. So telling.[/quote]

Short answer (in my opinion): Scale.

Qantas’ operations is not nearly as big as BA’s. With less scale, delivery can be customised more easily and consistency managed.

conc001
    Participant

The cd f lounge will be the best. Avoid the AA one no good at all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls