Qantas 1st Class

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

A wee review of my flight back from Singapore with Qantas in 1st class. Was only on this flight as BA had their strike action on the 27th.

Flew out to Singapore on the A380 with BA in an forgettable flight. I do love the Concorde Lounge but found the food offering quite average, usually find the food excellent. I had connected from ABZ and the connection process was seamless…if only the same could be true on my return.

Return flight QF1 SIN – LHR 28th September

Check in: 8/10
    I’d arrived from Bali into another terminal with another airline so had to collect bags and transfer. Not brilliant but my choice. I found the self-service check in and was directed to use one of the machines, as I went and the check-in assistant noted my 1st class check-in, she advised I should go to the dedicated check-in area. I did so and was checked in straight away with security being no fuss at all. Into lounge in under 10 minutes from checking in, seamless.

Lounge 4/10
    Went to QF lounge based on the replies on here, food was okay…sparking wine only and didn’t like the decor at all. Went to BA lounge next door which was bursting with people, sat at work station supping a Marlborough Sav Blanc, was ok…then was reminded 17 times that the lounge was about to close.

Boarding 6/10
    Security line was still pretty big by the time I’d walked the 400 miles from the lounge to the gate, no premium security line so waited and waited then onto the flight. This is where things improved significantly. Once I’d arrived at the door of the plane was welcomed by name and shown to my seat, champagne delivered instantly.

Seating 10/10
    I am not quite as aerodynamic as I used to be and I often find shoulder space an issue. Not so with the seat in 1st, for those who don’t know it is not a static seating position, you can move the seat 30 degrees or so to give you huge amounts of space. Seating is 1-1-1 unlike BA who offer 1 – 2 – 1. It feels a little old fashioned in the cabin but the space is cavernous, much much more space than any flight I’ve ever been on.

F&B 10/10
    Wasn’t hugely hungry so went for a duck risotto starter and steak sandwich, both were top-notch. Hostess kept bringing me wine and champagne as I watched whatever movie I was watching then I promptly fell asleep.

Sleep quality 10/10
    Never before have I slept for so long. I awoke from my nap 2.5 hours in and went to the loo, upon returning I asked the hostess to make up my bed, the quality of the bedding was truly amazing. And the cavernous space gives the feeling you are in your own little hotel room, what followed for me was the longest ever sleep I’ve had in the air. I awoke with only 3.5 hours of the flight remaining.

IFE 9/10
    Once awake I watched a Johnny Depp movie which was hilarious! (The Professor) Sound quality and picture quality both very good albeit the screen was a little on the small side. The hand-held remote is a little fiddly but not much more so than the Sky Q remote.

Cabin Crew 10/10
    A delightful English lady took very good care of me throughout, nothing was too much trouble and none of that air of superiority one sometimes feels with some crew. She was attentive, smiley and knew what she was doing.

Overall 67/80
    The ground product was pretty poor but the flight itself was sensational. A real triumph and QF would now be top of my list of airlines to fly east were it not for the complete shambles of connecting to ABZ when I landed with my World’s Least Favourite Airline. They managed to suck all the pleasure out of it with their connections mess, Heathrow security and awful awful lounge at the A gates. Calling it a zoo is an insult to zookeepers. If you are not connecting at LHR then I would strongly urge QF to Singapore or Oz aboard their excellent A380 in your little hotel room in the sky!

Regards.
    AOTG.

8 users thanked author for this post.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Always interesting to hear others views of a product. I have never been impressed with the QF A380 – always found it very noisy – maybe a result of their passenger demographic. The Heathrow experience is sometimes challenging but of course if one is most used to airports in the US, it is a breeze. It is also in some respects (attitude of staff) definitely no worse then Sydney…

paulkaz
    Participant

Qantas’ Singapore lounge will be expanded with a seperate First lounge next month.
    https://www.executivetraveller.com/qantas-new-singapore-first-class-lounge-to-open-november-2019
    Nevereconomy; the noisy demographic to which you refer are probably Australians enjoying life.

esselle
    Participant

I posted separately (Lounge Singapore) about the new QF first lounge in SIN. It was announced in February that it would be opening in “November”, but my question was if anybody has an update on when.

I am connecting to QF SIN-MEL on 20th November and have a five hour layover. Grateful if anyone has new news on this.

Tasclean
    Participant

Sorry Eselle, you’ll be back with the plebs in QF or BA biz lounge. There was an opening date of 29 Nov set recently but think I then heard that’s in doubt..

Sounds like our OP had the old 380F – first of the QF refurb aircraft is now on LHR route with two more to follow in the next 2 months. Would like to know what ppl think, tho doubt It would be enough to prompt a move back from SQ.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

[postquote quote=970105][/postquote]

I had a quick look on the Qantas website, I don’t know if I was in new 1st or old 1st…certainly the IFE controller was a little old-fashioned but the rest of it looked exactly like the QF website blurb.

I remain really pleased that this was such a good flight and now I’m tasked with asking BA for my night’s accommodation costs back as I had an additional night to pay for thanks to their cancelling of my original flight.

paulkaz
    Participant

Esselle you can follow this thread in case any inside information comes up,
    https://www.executivetraveller.com/community/view/8979/qantas-singapore-first-class-lounge-opening-date

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls