Profiteering?

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

• ASK1945
    Participant

SimonS1 wrote:

“……………….. There is a reason why taxi drivers (who have every reason to manage their costs) will generally tell you they fill up at Shell and BP and not at the supermarket.”

Do you have a reference for this? Anecdotally, my local garage (petrol now at less than £1) always seems to have black cabs and private hire cars at the (diesel) pumps.

ASK1945
    Participant

I make no apology for returning to this subject – which was in relation to petrol prices at the “big” retail forecourts (#994883)

“Which” have just issued a report on this issue, which mirrors what I said four months ago.
    https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/08/were-you-overcharged-during-lockdown/ (“Were you overcharged for fuel during lockdown?”).

My local garage, which I have to pass to get to the nearest Shell station, is now showing prices only a few pence cheaper than Shell – which was the not the case when I made the earlier post. I have also noticed that the petrol prices in a nearby M1 service station are now only slightly higher than the off motorway service stations in the area.

I did take up the matter with Shell after my earlier post, but the only reason they could offer was that their additional facilities were “first class”. In fact, these are no different at all than my local independent garage.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=995477][/postquote]

I omitted to reply, but see the article I posted up thread.

Right now the gap has narrowed a lot, supply and demand I imagine.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls