Private Jet or Commercial Flight

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

• Anonymous

Scandinavian
    Participant

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/southafrica/8768906/South-African-foreign-minister-rents-20000-private-jet-over-airport-row.html

This is ridiculous and bad marketing for South Africa! Looks like the ANC is becoming corrupt in its ways just like any other country with a political party that is too dominant…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

You only need to look at the FBO’s in the NYC area to see how many nations use executive jets on their way to the UN in some cases to beg for more fianancial aid.

Passengers are not limited to diplomats, but family kling ons as well.

I think Maite Nkoana-Mashabane will be kicking herself for the bad publicity this will justifiably cause.

CathyK1
    Participant

This is what happen with the tax payers money.

CathyK1
    Participant

I was searching the web for the most popular private jets in USA. I see this post interesting.

http://etopmost.com/most-popular-private-jets

just though of sharing

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

I once saw at Basel airport a private jet with huge lettering on the side “President of Chad” no doubt at his Swiss bank counting his hard earned international loans or charity donations!! What an idiot to advertise such an aircraft from a country such as Chad.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

This is all too familiar in S. Africa. There was another minister who was travelling to Europe with her family a few years ago. The long range Air Force Falcon they use was not available, only the short range one which would have necessitated a refuelling stop.

She hired a plane from Switzerland which had to fly down just to collect her doubling the price of an already expensive trip!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just thinking, it gets to me that the UK gives billions of hard pressed taxpayers money in foreign aid to countries whose President and ministers travel by private jet, while Britain’s own PM has to take Ryanair!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

One issue is hiring a private jet at around $12000 per flying hour for a heavy duty non stop transatlantic capable aircraft to renting a smaller European range 6 seater jet at around $3000 per flying hour, to buying which can cost anywhere upwards of $3 million for an old used model up to $60 million for brand new top of the range Gulfstream.

The biggest waste though are the number of empty legs where these aircraft are flying positioning flights or just returning to their base empty.

There are web sites selling Empty Legs.

On top of purchase costs the running costs amount to around 20% – 25% of the total cost per year, depending on how many hours per year the aircraft is flown

Worse though than Empty Legs are the number of seats owners use, especially on long haul.

14 seater aircraft with 1 or 2 passengers and up to 4 crew (say London to Hong Kong non stop, 3 -4 pilots and 1 cabin attandant).

Private Jets are used for many purposes, each individual, but the common factor with the majority of owners is that they have more money / profit within their lives than they generally know what to do with it.

Its all about choice.

RichHI1
    Participant

LP you seriously think Cameorn takes Ryanair when he is not doing a publicity stunt?
    I think these governments are to be commended for saving their taxpayers UKAPD on all trips to the UK. In these hard times we must all look to cut waste and the UKAPD looks like waste to me.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

BORING!!!!!! give me a comercial flight any day or a better jet. I was lucky to fly by private jet and it was nothing particularly exciting. Interior was nice, seats were comfortable but didnt recline to fully flat, no food service except savouries and biscuits form the cubboard, some soft drinks and a bottle of bubbly, toilets were very clean and looked un used and the pilots were very nice (just like the boys from BA). But it didnt make me feel “fly like a G6” 😉 xx

Doesnt David Cameron have a plane like the US president? xx

RichHI1
    Participant

Becky there are a fleet of jets used to transport the President and senioe Government officials (Vice Presdient, Secretary of State etc). The term Air Force 1 applies to any plane the President is on board not the actual aircraft.
    Royal Family and Government in UK used to fly RAF but I think on long haul they have been moving to Commerical Flights on BA and I think Cameron has used VS as well. I think with the retiring of VC10’s et al, there are not too many long haul pax aircraft in RAF fleet. When the Royals use BA they block the entire first cabin. I wonder if Liz or Charles check to see if they have New First….

MartynSinclair
    Participant

BeckyBoop, you obviously experienced the “cheaper” end of a small private jet.

For those interested in how The Royal Family travel the link will be interesting. Note that the UK is one of the few “major powers” that does not keep a jet for either the Head of State or Government.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_transport_of_the_Royal_Family_and_government_of_the_United_Kingdom

Rich, when the Pres. is in a helicopter, I believe it changes to Marine 1.

LeTigre
    Participant

In regards to the President of Chad (who was apparently trained by Gaddafi) and his jet, do please take a look at this (scroll down to the ‘République du Tchad’ image).

What a snazzy looking MD-87!

Apparently, he manage to siphon off $30,000,000 of philanthropic funds for building a pipeline into buying arms to keep himself in power. Awwwwwwwwwww, what a guy!

RichHI1
    Participant

Martyn you are correct, the reason being the fixed wing aircraft used are part of the US Air Force and the Rotary Aircraft are part of the US Marine Corps.I wonder if he goes on a ship if that becomes Navy 1?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls