Priority club platinum, worthless???

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

• Anonymous

GarethForster1
    Participant

Having obtained platinum level with IHG this year im seriously convinced this is no better than having gold except you earn 50% points more. My experience of top tier with Hilton is you nearly always get upgraded and always get lounge access when available though with IHG this is clearly not he case with platinum.

The most you seem to get is a drinks voucher at check in with some properties and if your lucky an upgrade to a better room or corne view if available though club access seems to always be denied. Since I am looking for a hotel in Dubai for regular stays this year I contacted Mr James Young, Manager of Crowne Plaza Dubai to ask if club lounge access was etended to platinum top tier members. I was clearly told no and simply sent a list of benefits offered which are the standard 50% extra points, free newspaper and 4pm check out, i really dont see the point of continuing my membership with IHG and im goinna reverse back to Hilton and build back up towards Diamond for next year.

I’d be so interested to hear from other platinum members of IHG to see if you feel the benefits are worth it or if you feel they are lame in comparison to Hilton Honours or Marriott Rewards

thebigseats
    Participant

I wouldn’t say IHG is worthless but the benefits are certainly limited in terms of perks! The points stay options & availability to book on points or points & cash are good IME. I too have this level with IHG and Diamond with Hilton. Hilton’s benefits at Diamond far outway IHG Plat as you indeed described. Most benefits with IHG come with Ambassador status or Royal Ambassador status. My advice is to look at a status match with Hilton or if they say no, ask for a Gold/Diamond challenge. Otherwise AMEX Plat comes with Hilton Gold membership. Look at the Hilton credit card too for fast track to Gold.

GarethForster1
    Participant

Thanks for the advice bigseats. Im already Diamond with Hilton aswell so thats not a problem, simply drawing comparisons. Ive noticed the benefits you receive with IHG seem to vary depending on the actual hotel, which i feel lets the programme down a little whereas with Marriott rewards and Hilton Honours they are much more standardised

Binman62
    Participant

Been ICHG platinum for a while but not beyond this year. They had some very good rate deals and burning points was generally easy. Upgraded to Ambassador with Intercon and have had disaster after disaster. Of late very very few points deals and now the hike in burn rates make it even less attractive.

continentalclub
    Participant

Priority Club Platinum seems to be comparable with other programmes’ Silver levels, both in terms of ease-of-earning and benefits.

I did receive free WiFi and lounge access at the Crowne Plaza Times Square last week on the strength of it though.

NTarrant
    Participant

Gareth, I would recomend the Hilton Dubai Creek if you ar looking at a regular stay. It is one of the best Hilton’s I have stayed in and have used it for quite a few years now.

As to the question, I have only ever been gold with Priority Club but always pay for the Ambassador which is good value. I can’t say that I have had any special service, other than a stay last weekend at the Holiday Inn Sydney airport where I was given a choice of a voucher for a drink or 500 points.

thebigseats
    Participant

I second the Hilton Dubai Creek as an excellent choice in Dubai. The best Hilton property in town…….until the Conrad arrives, I suspect.

prosborn
    Participant

True, being Platinum has few advantages, but stuff like being put on the Exec Floor w/ Lounge at the CP with comped Internet is one well worth it. The problem perhaps is that IHG, one of the stiffer adherents to silly rules, has devalued Platinum status to such an extent that all parties (vendor and guest) do not accord it much importance.
    Hey, if you stay a few one-night stays in US hotels which each offer 5000 bonus points a stay, and hook into a deal with quad bonus miles, you very quickly get to Platinum with its 60000 point requirement.

HH Diamond in contrast is a very different thing. Most members have to meet high requirements like 28 stays a year (that is one-twelfth of one’s life!). The benefits are much better too. Not that HH D is paradise either, before any HH stalker gets the hotss.

So … avoid all comparisons between PC Plat and HH D. It’t not a case of comparing apples and pears. More a case of comparing a varied mid-quality fruit basket (pommegranate, passion fruits, greengages, soft apricots, raspberries, blueberries…) with a shrivelled quince. Guess which is which.

But, before IHG feels insulted, I like quince jam sometimes. Just that everyone should know their place.

– Paul

Tio_Juan
    Participant

I am a Starwood Platinum member and it is one of the best in the business, free internet and lounge access as well as upgrades when available. The gold member tier with Starwood is not bad, but no lounge access, upgrades and 4:00 pm check out isn’t bad. Look into their program.

Lady Pammy
    Participant

I cannot comment on other hotel reward programmes but I have been a Priority Club Platinum member for more years than I care to recall and I have found it to be excellent. For two examples off the top of my head, I have stayed in the 11th floor Sultan’s Suite at the Intercontinental Almaty, Kazakhstan for free and the service and benefits I receive each time I stay at the Holiday Inn Glenmarie in Kuala Lumpur are superb.

Happy travelling!

Best wishes, Pamela

canucklad
    Participant

Last 5 years i’ve been a platinum member, abroad you are treated like a valued customer…..

Here in the UK it’s as if you’ve never been in their hotel before. I rarely get upgraded—rather than upgrade i’m given a token piece of fruit or worse than that a voucher to give me 20% off….

I have to say that the rewards nights are easy to book etc

Charles-P
    Participant

I’ve been Platinum for five years and like other posters say it depends on the hotel. The Intercontinental on Park Lane always recognises me with an upgrade, and some sort of gift, the Crowne Plaza Rome the same while Holiday Inn’s seem to be very dependent on the individual hotel. There are two I use a lot and I get treated like a king in those while in others I’m just one more passing middle aged businessman.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I am Platinum with ICHG, Diamond with Hilton & Concierge with Carlson.

In my opinion, Platinum ICHG is almost valueless and even moreso when compared with the other 2. For example, with Hilton & Carlson, I always get room upgraded, Free internet access and free breakfast. With ICHG I get zero.

When this year is up with ICHG, I shall move over to either Starwood or Marriot.

alwaysinclub
    Participant

2 years ago I was Platinum with IHG and was very satisfied, despite the occasional inconsistancy with upgrades/welcome drinks (these were rare). Now I am Gold, almost Platinum with A Club. What a difference. Never an upgrade (you have to ask and it isn’t offered), not a great reward scheme in terms of the general points = vouchers, or FFP, but I don’t get the impression it is as good a value as IHG PC. Marriott Gold was good. I would have IHG Platinum anyday.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls