Premium Fares to the USA

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Bath_VIP
    Participant

This article quotes Delta as being surprised at the strong demand they’re finding for premium fares from consumers as opposed to businesses. They say as business demand has fallen it has been more than picked up by premium consumers. They also say they’ve been able to release more seats for sale since businesses aren’t block booking as before.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/airlines-see-a-new-kind-of-traveler-at-the-front-of-the-plane/ar-AA139HE6?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=b2df136dd36543db85839b2042649462

Whatever, it has undoubtably been the case this year that business class fares to the USA this year have been way out of my reach. Premium Economy has been available but even those fares have been firm. I wondered if other people see the same thing?

For background, over the last 10 years I have averaged 2 trips a year to Texas/Louisiana. I’ve kept detailed records of my spending on these trips (I am a statistician!) which means I can see certain trends. My goal has been to keep total travel spend (i.e. airfares plus airport transfers and airport hotels) to under £1500 return and up to now I have largely managed that but I have had to travel more and more in Premium Economy to do so.

SGJNI1961
    Participant

I have also noticed the very sharp increase in air fares generally but am happy to report that trips to N America from Dublin can still be prices at well under £1500 ie DUB-LAX (via HEL!, my choice) for £1250 next March. I do however appreciate, a side trip to Dublin is not for everyone. Both my recent trips to SFO were under £1500 for the same reason. Virgin and BA have seats from Dublin if you look and can be a bit flexible, travel Tue-Thurs also seems to help.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

My recent trips to the States have been long weekends so Dublin style trips are not convenient. For longer stays we would look at those.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Premium fares definitely feel like they have gone up over the last 12 months.
    In my experience, whilst not extensive, I’d suggest:

Be flexible if you can with your airport in the US – I often need to return to the UK from South Florida. MIA is always, by some distance, the most expensive option (due to direct flights). FLL is cheaper and PBI cheaper still.

Sorry for sounding wise after the event, but from a OW perspective, book when BA have a sale. They did last month and their fares to NY (one way) were sub £1k in J.

Another option could be to check what J routes have avios availability and book premium economy and then upgrade. Cities like MIA often have very limited availability, while NY can generally be ok.

Finally, as per an earlier post, if you depart from mainland Europe direct to US, you’ll normally find some much more competitive fares. You don’t necessarily need to book ex-UK with multiple legs. Eg. MAD-MIA (fly out the eve before from London to cut down any tight connection etc).

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls