Potential Heathrow strike on Aug 5/6

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

With less than 10 hours until the strike starts, in full knowledge flights are going to be cancelled, only 3 airlines have published the list of cancelled flights. I have 3 flights coming up on Monday and Tuesday all involving LHR.

Whilst I am pretty sure my longhaul will operate, I have no idea if my 2 shorthauls will operate. There has been no publication of how transit passenger will be affected. My moan is not about the strike itself, but the effect on passengers not knowing. The law of the land permits strike action – however, there is absolutely no care for the passengers it affects. Airlines suggesting passengers check with the airport and the airport saying check with the airlines.

Presume the airlines will be able to wiggle out of EU 261..

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

I don’t think the airlines can be held responsible. Some have transferred flights to LGW but obviously there isn’t the capacity for LGW to take another 170 or so flights. I can’t see EU261 compensation kicking in here.

Good luck to everyone affected, I hope your plans aren’t too disrupted. I’m happy to say my plans this week involve EZY, LGW, rental car, and SW Trains!

rferguson
    Participant

There’s a few i’ve seen canx for tomorrow

902, 1472, 492, 500, 1434, 508, 430, 416, 346, 862, 700, 834, 938, 1488, 1452, 954, 486.

Most of the cancelled departures seem to be in the morning with all before 17:00 so I imagine regarding further cancellations it will be a ‘wait and see’ approach tomorrow.

No long haul cancellations so far.

rferguson
    Participant

Sorry should have said a ‘few BA flights canx…’.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=952015]I don’t think the airlines can be held responsible[/quote]

My understanding is HAL are going to be short of staff on Monday and Tuesday, including security staff. This means the airport can not process passengers. HAL has suggested (or told) airlines cancel flights.

So which flights are being cancelled? It is unacceptable for passengers to be left in the dark, without options. Quite frankly, I would be happier to remain where I am for an extra 2 days, rather than have the uncertainty of wondering how I will be treated when I get to T5 as a passenger in transit.

The fact I am taking advantage of an ex-Europe ticket (using AMS) is irrelevant. I have paid for my carriage, I expect it to be on time OR alternative options provided without charge.

As mentioned previously, Unite are allowed by law to go on strike, I have no issue. Its about time that those affected by the strikes have rights too, to the extent that the certainty allows passengers to change flights.

It has been suggested to me, that BA will allow me to change LHR-AMS, but the separately ticketed AMS-LHR will have a charge and may need to be repriced.

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=952018]

I don’t think the airlines can be held responsible

My understanding is HAL are going to be short of staff on Monday and Tuesday, including security staff. This means the airport can not process passengers. HAL has suggested (or told) airlines cancel flights.

So which flights are being cancelled? It is unacceptable for passengers to be left in the dark, without options. Quite frankly, I would be happier to remain where I am for an extra 2 days, rather than have the uncertainty of wondering how I will be treated when I get to T5 as a passenger in transit.

The fact I am taking advantage of an ex-Europe ticket (using AMS) is irrelevant. I have paid for my carriage, I expect it to be on time OR alternative options provided without charge.

As mentioned previously, Unite are allowed by law to go on strike, I have no issue. Its about time that those affected by the strikes have rights too, to the extent that the certainty allows passengers to change flights.

It has been suggested to me, that BA will allow me to change LHR-AMS, but the separately ticketed AMS-LHR will have a charge and may need to be repriced.[/quote]

MS not sure if i’ve got this right…you are ticketed AMS-XXX via LHR tomorrow and have a positioning flight booked on BA LHR-AMS also tomorrow?

If so, I would have changed my LHR-AMS flight to today/this evening (Sunday). As long as you are at Schipol check in tomorrow for your AMS-XXX via LHR flight BA will be obligated to accommodate you in the event of IRROPs. I understand you’ll have to stump up for a nights accommodation in AMS but that’s kind of part of the game we play when doing ex EU flights. Personally if it was me I wouldn’t take the risk and would get myself to AMS tonight.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi RF – currently in the Far East. I will arrive into T5, Tuesday am with an onward to AMS and then straight back to LHR (separate ticket). I am being told that the LHR-AMS can be changed but the AMS-LHR may need to be repriced.

The bigger issue is, it feels really sh*t to be so far from home – and having no idea what will happen when I hit T5. No need to discuss the morals of Unite or the strike – or the ex Europe ticket – once again it is the passenger who is being left in the dark….

Thanks for your reply

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Emirates says it will divert EK031/032 to BHX (Birmingham) on August 5.

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/help/travel-updates.aspx/#3469

openfly
    Participant

BBC News says no strike on Monday, but possibly Tuesday while talks continue.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Breaking:

Unite cancels the strike for August 5. But August 6 still on.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Hi Martyn,
    Can’t you demand your luggage to be delivered at LHR given the circumstances?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=952031]Unite cancels the strike for August 5. But August 6 still on.[/quote]

but not before my flights are all moved by 48 hours….

totally pi**ed off….

I have no problem with unions striking – but what about the passenger who are disrupted. It’s about time the passengers who are disrupted have some protection.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yes, even though the strike for tomorrow has been postponed, there will be tens of thousands of passengers who have been disrupted, including many who have been planning their holidays for a considerable time.

Gold-2K
    Participant

Looks like no strike on Monday 5th:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49225366

stylonglene
    Participant

Gosh… Happy to fly to LHR tomorrow instead of Monday. But I fear a very busy flight now…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls