Potential Heathrow strike on Aug 5/6

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

• Jenni Reid
    Keymaster

Still not much clarity on the proposed Heathrow staff strike on August 5/6 at this point (hence I’m posting here rather than writing a news story) – I just got off the phone with Unite who said that they will begin talks at 5pm tonight, so an announcement MAY come tomorrow.

But just to flag that if it goes ahead, staff will strike on Monday and Tuesday. BA is warning that:

– The number of security lanes will be reduced. Fast Track and The First Wing will be closed. It will take longer than usual to pass through security, so arrive in good time.

– You’ll only be allowed to take one small personal item of hand baggage that can fit under the seat in front of you. Any additional items of hand baggage must be checked in.

– Where possible, consolidate your belongings and keep the number of checked bags to a minimum, as there will be more checked bags than usual. Please also ensure that your checked baggage remains within your weight allowance.

They will be updating ba.com/heathrow-strike with info.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

A feeling of total deflation getting the email from BA – the web site has crashed and cant get through on the special BA phone line.

Thank goodness I have a brilliant TC, known to many of you…..

I have no problem if my flights are changed – I have a problem with the not knowing…..

I could be in a worse place…..

AMcWhirter
    Participant

LHR cancels 172 flights on Monday and Tuesday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49212984?ocid=socialflow_twitter

rferguson
    Participant

Reduced catering will also be on these routes:

ABZ, AMS, BHD, BLL, BRU, BSL, CDG, DUB, DUS, EDI, FRA, GLA, GVA, HAJ, HAM, INV, LBA, LUX, LYS, MAN, MPL, NCL, NTE, STR, TLS, TXL, ZRH

In Club Europe a voucher for use in the terminal will be offered and a flapjack or muffin on the aicraft. In EuroTraveller tea coffee water and a biscuit.

HAL can also order the airlines to cancel flights at short notice and will usually aim for services with multiple frequencies that can be consolidated so short haul and BA will likely bare the brunt of this.

Virgin are re-routing some long haul flights via LGW instead.

openfly
    Participant

Midday 3rd Aug, BA is still showing all flights operating. No info on canx flights….how can pax make any plans?! Typical….

2 users thanked author for this post.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Gosh… Happy to fly to LHR tomorrow instead of Monday. But I fear a very busy flight now…

rferguson
    Participant

BA have said HAL will notify them tomorrow (sunday) how many departures they will need to cancel and BA will then communicate it.

Interstingly, no inbound flights will be affected. Cancelled services from LHR will still depart (albeit without passengers) to operate the inbound flights. The flight cancellations seem purely to stem the number of passengers passing through security at the terminals.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=951983]Cancelled services from LHR will still depart (albeit without passengers) to operate the inbound flights.[/quote]

Any idea what delights await transit passengers…especially off the early morning flight’s when parts of the airport remains shut…. even when it is meant to be open…..

Welcome to the UK……….!

Eurocity
    Participant

[quote quote=951932]– You’ll only be allowed to take one small personal item of hand baggage that can fit under the seat in front of you. Any additional items of hand baggage must be checked in. Please also ensure that your checked baggage remains within your weight allowance.[/quote]
    Do they mean that a passsenger on a HBO fare, who is forced to check a bag that would normally be regarded as carry-on, will be required to pay for it? For me it seems like a break of a contract.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=951983]BA have said HAL will notify them tomorrow (sunday) how many departures they will need to cancel and BA will then communicate it.

Interstingly, no inbound flights will be affected. Cancelled services from LHR will still depart (albeit without passengers) to operate the inbound flights. The flight cancellations seem purely to stem the number of passengers passing through security at the terminals.[/quote]

This is HAL’s request. I don’t see airlines flying an empty plane on one of the legs so expect more cancellations.

capetonianm
    Participant

They may well fly the empty legs in order to carry the inbound passengers. Makes sense to me, or at least more sense than stranding them unless they can get them on alternatives with other carriers but that presents its own problems.

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=951991]

BA have said HAL will notify them tomorrow (sunday) how many departures they will need to cancel and BA will then communicate it.

Interstingly, no inbound flights will be affected. Cancelled services from LHR will still depart (albeit without passengers) to operate the inbound flights. The flight cancellations seem purely to stem the number of passengers passing through security at the terminals.

This is HAL’s request. I don’t see airlines flying an empty plane on one of the legs so expect more cancellations.[/quote]

BA has confirmed internally that it will position the empty aircraft and crew of cancelled flights to operate the inbound flight. I imagine HAL will have to compensate the airlines for any cancelled outbound flights and it helps the airlines reduce a logistical nightmare a little by still operating the inbound flights.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Flying out without passengers makes sense to me. Better than having to accommodate 100 PAX at AMS, or CDG or FRA….

Imagine the hotel, food and logistics cost of that.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Two airlines so far have revised schedules in case the strike goes ahead.

Virgin Atlantic has posted details of those transatlantic flights that will be switched to LGW.

https://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/travel-information/travel-news.html

And Qatar Airways has also transferred some services to LGW and has cancelled a couple of flights.

https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033445994-London-Heathrow-Industrial-Action

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Details from Etihad. One flight cancelled August 5.

https://www.etihad.com/en-gb/announcements/london-heathrow-airport-travel-update/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls