Possible UK border closures / further travel restrictions – 4 QUESTIONS

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

The UAE has just been added to the ‘red list’ of countries requiring hotel quarantine on return to the UK. Expect a huge drop in ‘essential travel there now.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

taken from the Sky News website…

09:21

Police will not stop holidaymakers from leaving the country

Police will not stop holidaymakers from leaving the country under current laws, the chair of the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC) has suggested.
    On Wednesday, Home Secretary Priti Patel said going on holiday was “not a valid reason” to leave home during the current lockdown and that the police presence at airports and ports would be increased.

But there are fears some people will take a fine of £200 and still try and leave the country for holidays, particularly if they have booked expensive flights and accommodation in advance.

On Thursday, NPCC chair Martin Hewitt said police will not automatically stop travellers choosing to continue their journeys under current rules, the Independent reports.

They will issue fines in the airport to people without a valid excuse to be there, but Mr Hewitt said “the process after that is being worked through”.

“Whether they are then barred from travelling is not a police issue, that’s a borders issue,” Mr Hewitt added.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1090385]Police will not stop holidaymakers from leaving the country[/quote]

Yet, and to be fair , with a soft touch , police are stopping cars that are not recognized as being local at the Scottish border ( know of stories from Coldstream) and being questioned about the validity of their travel reasons

jump on an Emirates plane and head off to Dubai for “valid” reasons and its a bon voyage, but dare you head to Northumberland and you’re going to be confronted with a “hello, hello, hello” by cheery Mr. Plod

It’s a complete nonsense

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

My sister had a Brittany Ferry booked last year to travel to Spain this week (she has residence there). Cost £358.

Government regulations then changed, and it is not a business trip, so legally she cannot go.

Brittany Ferries have responded that the ferry is going as usual and they cannot refund.

Fairness?

Stevescoots
    Participant

[postquote quote=1090401]

If she has residence then she is classed as going home so is essential

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1090477]

I should have said she has “a residence” there. Her primary residence is in UK and she is a UK taxpayer.

Stevescoots
    Participant

[postquote quote=1090481]

there is a difference between tax residency and residency. Govt rules are “where you live” not where you pay tax so my understanding is she would be fine

AMcWhirter
    Participant

This morning the date being mooted for hotel quarantine (for arrivals from high-risk areas) is now Feb 15.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1091180]This morning the date being mooted for hotel quarantine (for arrivals from high-risk areas) is now Feb 15.[/quote]

In the meantime, we’re busy scurrying around the UK in the Scooby Doo mystery machine trying to find the South African virus — You couldn’t make this up !

PeterCoultas
    Participant

If they are as slow (about 1 a minute) processing people arriving from high risk areas as they were when my wife arrived from Sweden then everyone milling about for hours waiting to be processed for entry is likely to have been infected even if they were originally covid free. My wife’s “passenger arrival form” gave our home address for her location but the pathetic entry processing in terminal 5 meant we had to spend a night in a local hotel rather than going directly home.

At least we have loads more people who could die from covid before we reach the Spanish flue deaths of 1918-1920 (about 3x as lethal on a population percentage basis) but with the handling of the pandemic so far one would guess that our politicians are aiming for covid to beat the spanish flu performance…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I heard a private jet charter was refused clearance into UK airspace whilst en route from a European holiday destination and ended up being forced to divert to France….in the last few days… There PJ was carrying UK residents/nationals

FormerBA
    Participant

1.Should our borders be closed or heavily restricted for passenger traffic (not cargo)?

Absolutely, the only question is why is didn’t happen last March! Private aircraft must also be included.

2. With so many empty hotels around our international airports, should self-isolation be moved up a notch into Asia / Australia style quarantine, with stricter enforcement? At least it may provide some business for the beleaguered hotel industry?

Yes, everyone at their own costs and with simply eye watering fines for anyone tempted to break the quarantine.

3. Holidays – should people be booking holidays with the expectation they MUST go at all costs?

The dutch have told their nationals not to book anything before March 31st. This clarity of thought and action is in stark contrast to the fumbling chaotic approach here in the UK (vaccine roll out excepted)

4. Now the controversial question – would you travel under the definition of medical treatment to get a UK approved vaccine privately, overseas?

At the end of the day how someone spends their money is a matter for them, however, society can and should make this possibility as unacceptable as drink driving.
    Flying out of the UK at present should not only be punitively expensive, but more importantly returning should be nearly impossible. This can be done by raising APD and charging private jets a tax equal to or double that, of the actual costs until the crisis has subdued. Any return should arranged via an Australian style system which limits numbers each week and then the full costs to be borne by the arriving passenger.

We are all in this together and those nations who have acted hard and fast have reaped the benefits, while those that have not are living with a level of death that is simply unacceptable in a modern advanced nation. IMHO

LuganoPirate
    Participant

My tuppence worth:

1.Should our borders be closed or heavily restricted for passenger traffic (not cargo)?
    No! But everyone should be PCR tested before departure and again on arrival with the rapid test which are now much more accurate than before. There will be queues at borders * even within Shengen, but so be it! We’ve got to get commerce and trade moving again.

2. With so many empty hotels around our international airports, should self-isolation be moved up a notch into Asia / Australia style quarantine, with stricter enforcement? At least it may provide some business for the beleaguered hotel industry?
    No – but when isolation is required, it should be done German style. Test on arrival, then straight home or hotel for 5 days and then a test. If negative free to go out, otherwise you stay isolated at home. In Switzerland it’s 10 days but you get testedon the 5th day. In both cases you are subject to spot checks by the police.

3. Holidays – should people be booking holidays with the expectation they MUST go at all costs?
    Yes, let people book holidays, but with the option to cancel / move dates and subject to 1 and 2 above.

4. Now the controversial question – would you travel under the definition of medical treatment to get a UK approved vaccine privately, overseas?
    I don’t want the vaccine full stop!! Maybe in 6 months time?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9221621/Chaos-Heathrow-passport-checking-machines-malfunction.html

OK, it may be the Daily Mail.

Boris says we have some of the strictest border controls in the world…. why are people still travelling in such numbers….??

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1091750]Boris says we have some of the strictest border controls in the world…. why are people still travelling in such numbers….??[/quote]

A great question Martyn …..
    With all the good news about the vaccine I really was looking forward to jumping on a plane and escaping this prison I call home. at some point this year.
    Alas every time I listen to an expert plying their trade on the media my optimism falls into the 1 step forward ,2 steps back brigade

Take this morning for example. Waking up to a woman ( On Radio 4) advocating the need to now wear a mask over our mask because clearly one mask isn’t working. Then add in the complication of one of the masks needing to be made from a manmade fibre and you’ll understand my sudden need to take refuge under my duvet. Changing the radio station didn’t help ,dialling into Radio Scotland as a SNP spokesman tries to explain the impending quarantine protocols and how they’ll police it differently from England sort of ? .

So , I’m resetting my expectations for 2021 and answering Q3 again …..
    Holiday abroad no chance, golfing trip to Moray at the end of May now not likely , so with all my heart I’m placing my hopes on a day trip to the local pub sometime in the summer (2021) with my 2 masks in hand.

4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls