Possible Laptop Ban on ex-UK Flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just came across this.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4442136/Trump-ban-laptops-aircrafts-flights-UK.html

If it happens I wonder how it would affect BA’s flights and it it would be Europe wide or just the UK?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Probably easier for all electronics except mobiles to be banned on all flights in hand baggage.

My only concern is whether insurance companies will market an insurance policy to cover stolen or damaged lap tops in checked baggage. An insurance policy is needed..

Next Trump can ban ALL hand luggage.. should make airport security far easier.

On a serious note.. to me the problem is not the ‘bans’… but the different rules for different routes in different countries..

Make it easier.. just ban hand luggage and I think airports will become a far more pleasant experience….

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yes, the story originated in The Times (though you need a subscription to read it)

Trump considers banning laptops on planes from UK airports

The headline, while not inaccurate, does not quite reflect the article

“British security chiefs have been put on alert that the US is planning to impose its laptop ban on incoming flights from some parts of Europe — a move that could be implemented within weeks. They are waiting to see whether Britain is included, according to a senior Whitehall source.

Several informed sources confirmed that the US was considering plans to include Britain but no final decision has been taken. “As with everything from Trump’s America, there are conflicting reports about where, when and what,” one Whitehall insider said.”

PeterCoultas
    Participant

perhaps good to know that the tourists (sorry terrorists) can still use their mobile phones to blow up their computers in the hold…..idiotic and par for the Trump course…

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I wonder how Trumps popularity would stand if he were to ban lap tops on all internal USA flights. That is one ban that I can not see ever happening..

IanFromHKG
    Participant

You can still take a “laptop” (well, a computer, anyway) on these flights

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-stick-pcs/

Add a virtual keyboard, and off you go…

https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-virtual-keyboards

All you need is a screen at your destination…

Charles-P
    Participant

The European Commission (EC) has told ACI Europe that the U.S. ban on electronic devices could shortly be extended to European airports—but the U.S. government has neither confirmed nor denied the new ban.

A decision to ban large electronic devices from aircraft cabins on flights to U.S. destinations is expected as soon as May 11, according to industry sources.

But several executives who have been informed about the upcoming changes said it is unclear whether the ban mirrors restrictions that have already been put in place for 10 airports in the Middle East; which European airports are affected; and for how long. They also said it has not been determined whether passengers are allowed to surrender their electronic devices at the gate or are forced to include them in the checked baggage at a check-in counter.

The procedure for passengers on itineraries connecting through European hubs is also not clear.

The U.S. Homeland Security Department (DHS) did not reply to requests for comments. U.S. airlines contacted for this story said they have no further information on a possible electronics ban extending to European airports.

Rumors of a possible ban extending to Europe are gaining currency, people familiar with the issue told Aviation Daily. It is unclear, however, what airports could be affected. It also remains unclear what electronic devices would be banned from cabins. The new ban could, for example, allow smartphones, e-readers and tablets to be carried onto cabins and could apply only to laptops, cameras and other large devices, sources in the U.S. said.

A new ban raises cargo-hold security and safety concerns about stowing large numbers of devices with lithium-ion batteries in the cargo holds of passenger aircraft, sources said. These issues have been raised with the U.S. government, the sources said.

Airline and airport officials said they are very concerned about major operational disruptions such a ban may cause, particularly at hub airports. Several senior industry sources questioned the effectiveness of the expanded e-ban. “Whatever the intelligence is that appears to lead to this decision, the measures do nothing to improve security,” one executive said. He also stressed that airports and airlines are “concerned about the large number of electronic devices that are to be put into the cargo hold” because of the potential for inflight fires caused by laptop batteries.

The EC, which did not comment officially, has scheduled a meeting of the Aviation Security Committee, or EU AVSEC, for May 11 to assess the situation.

“We don’t have any concrete information on the subject, but we are in permanent contact with our partners and the authorities,” Air France-KLM stated. Lufthansa Group said it has been working on scenarios internally in case the e-ban was extended. A representative of another European airline told Aviation Daily the carrier is preparing for several different scenarios, as the U.S. government has not offered any specifics on a possible extension of the ban.

London’s Heathrow Airport, from which 17% of passenger traffic is headed to the U.S., has already started preparing for how to implement the ban. London Heathrow shared its planning with ACI Europe. Most importantly, the airport plans to introduce an additional security check for every U.S.-bound service just prior to gate access. The airport plans to use dedicated U.S. gates in order to have common security checkpoints for several gates. London Heathrow is also working on additional signage and advance customer communication to minimize the impact.

In a memo to its members, ACI Europe said, “The ambition is to get the maximum number of devices secured in hold baggage before it is checked in.” However, many financial institutions and technology companies require their employees to keep laptops in their hand luggage—causing major issues for the many business travelers commuting between London and New York.

The U.S. issued a first directive in March requiring laptops, tablets, e-readers and cameras to be put into the checked baggage on board for flights from 10 airports in eight countries. Affected airports include Abu Dhabi; Dubai; Doha, Qatar; and Istanbul.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

This will also cause havoc in the airport shops with warnings having to made to passengers considering purchasing large electronic items. I have not yet read any comments whether travel insurance policies will cover theft/damage/loss etc.. of these items if placed in checked bags.

Charles-P
    Participant

Martyn – Fully agree re the airport shops.

Personally I think the restrictions have now reached farcical proportions and I wonder how long before passengers are required to change into “approved’ flight suits before flight and carry no personal items whatsoever. Life is dangerous in many ways, I drive on European roads, I smoke cigars, I used to play Rugby, I get up each morning. Meanwhile the number one cause of death for Americans, Ischemic heart diseases which is almost entirely lifestyle driven gets minimum focus.

2015 American deaths from terrorism – 21 (less than the number killed by vending machines falling on them)
    2015 American shot by their own children – 43
    2015 American killed by falling out of bed – 246
    2015 Americans killed by Cancer – 591,699
    2015 American deaths from heart disease – 610,000. Equivalent to 2837 Boeing 737’s crashing or just under eight per day, every day.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@Charles-P – I would understand more, if the ban related to all hand baggage, but simply requiring the device to be stored in the hold – makes absolutely no sense. I do not know this answer, but is it possible for a lap top to remain active (‘on’), with hard drive available through a blue tooth smart phone, when the lid / lap top is closed?

I think Trump is using executive powers to cripple the world whilst enabling USA Inc, to benefit. As I suggested earlier, I wonder how USA folk would feel, if the electronic ban extended to all internal USA flights.

Charles-P
    Participant

Martyn – Remote activation of a laptop via Bluetoth is a piece of cake. Any of the IT guys at my former company could do it. That’s what makes the ban so stupid.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

You wouldn’t even need to activate it per see. To answer Martyn’s question, I changed the settings on my old Windows laptop so it would not go into sleep mode when it was closed because I got so fed up with the time it took to reawake. So yes, it is (or used to be) possible to leave a Windows laptop completely active with hard drive running when the lid is closed. Not sure about Macs

rferguson
    Participant

Rumour has it the ban from europe will be announced today.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

All one has to do is create a Faraday cage (i.e. shield) around the devices in the hold and there will be no comms.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls