Poor Little Red loads

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)

• TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

I believe Virgin Codeshare with the following airlines on Little Red (not necessarily all flights):

Singapore Airlines
    Air New Zealand
    Air China
    Delta
    South African
    Transaero

They also have through ticketing arrangements with several other carriers to the domestic add-ons which are very reasonable. There may be other codeshares but these are the ones I can quickly identify.

Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

Well that’s it all over.
    I came up on the final flight on Saturday night LHR/ABZ.
    It was fun actually, the captain made a speech from the front of the cabin thanking all those from ground to air, behind the scenes etc (some were taken onboard and introduced too) – he actually sounded a bit emotional.
    A lot of the ABZ-based crew were onboard for the final rotation and it was a bit of a party flight home – albeit us passengers felt like we were gate-crashing a crew party.
    There was no catering, no soap and no hand towels, but lots of laughs, tears and a fire service salute on arrival ABZ.
    So sad to see the end of this – I did eventually use it frequently and apart from anything else, LOVE T2!

canucklad
    Participant

Yep, sadly all over Speedbird……and 2 thoughts immediately come to mind !!

1) Shame on Richard Branson for doing exactly wasn’t going to do…… Slot Sit
    2) Watch my fares to LHR go up and up , or at least ,much fewer cheap deals, as London Airways enjoys its monopoly

Sad day for Scottish consumers, especially in Aberdeen !!

PhilipHart
    Participant

@rferguson, you make a very interesting point regarding revenue split fo feeder services.

Many, many moons ago – long before the arrival of the LoCos – the choice when flying between Belfast (Aldergrove) and London was either BA or British Midland.

Then BA said that they weren’t making on the route, and pulled out.

What??? The flights were always rammed – even in spite of the exorbitant fares.

Clearly the BA beancounters had been using “airline economics” in assessing the money earned on the route. Point-to-Point PAX: income = fare price; Feeder Service PAX: income = 1p.

peter19
    Participant

I flew this service a couple times and it was good although mainly I fly with BA. Its a shame it’s stopping based on the competition element. I know some friends who work on this route and they are being relocated which is good they are still in a job even if they have to move…

conshaldow
    Participant

Speedbird_ABZ – 28/09/2015 16:18 BST

I have a good friend who was cabin crew for little red and I believe she was one of the partying crew members you mentioned. I shall see if she will permit me to take photos from social media for you all to see as it looked like a fun flight to be on.

Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

I’d love to see those actually! I video’d Captain Jerry’s emotional speech, but couldn’t fathom out how to upload onto You Tube last night – maybe try again today.
    The senior crew member was telling me he hasn’t taken a long-haul job since he had done that previously and didn’t fancy the commute again – I actually remember him from Globespan all those years ago! Great guy and will be a miss to the airline industry.
    Back to BA for me this week. We are mixed-fleet now and the exact same thing happened on my previous two flights ex ABZ – the crew member soaked my seat-mate opening my tonic can. That wouldn’t have happened on a Little Red flight eh? Sighh
    Wish your friend well, they really were fantastic crew – each and every one of them I encountered over the years.

conshaldow
    Participant

I shall hopefully have them online at some point tomorrow once I have spoken to her this evening. I believe they all had their Little Red leaving party last night so heavens knows how they are all feeling today.

That’s a shame about the senior crew member. Thankfully I know a lot of the newer crew members have already signed their contracts with Virgin Atlantic and the airline actually ended up utilising Little Red as the training program/probationary period for a lot of their staff. It appears to have worked quite well on this occasion as it built a strong working relationship between the staff and hopefully will transfer through to the longhaul service.

SealinkBF
    Participant

I was on the last flight to ABZ too. More emotional than I expected – but of course this Little Red team has really put in the effort. They have always been great to fly with.
    Was great fun, and I liked the joke about oxygen masks and one crew member.

Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

Yes, I think that safety demonstration was borderline ehhhh, not approved? I joined in with the Emergency Exit pointing-out malarkey too. Maybe that kind of interactive demonstration would make people pay attention – there’s a thought CAA.

SealinkBF
    Participant

Stayed overnight in Crowne Plaza – two weeks old and a £49 rate! Back next day on a nearly full BE ABZ-LCY flight.

Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

You didn’t use our once-weekly BA LCY flight? Tut tut

SealinkBF
    Participant

I almost had to as I lost my passport (Flybe need PhotoID.) Happily they accepted my work pass!

I was amazed to find BA fly once a week to LCY… thought they’d stopped entirely. Is this the airline equivalent of a parliamentary train?

Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

Something like that! They fly an E190 up on a Friday to operate some Spanish charters over the weekend then back down to LCY on Sunday evening. I’m actually on one of their ABZ/AGP charter next June for my son’s wedding – shame BA status perks are not valid for charters!

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls