Poor Little Red loads

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)

• 727jesmond
    Participant

Maybe Little Red should have flown LHR-LPL rather than MAN, had the route themselves, and Liverpool is a vry vibrant city and according to rough guides 3rd in world of cities to visit, so would have been something for Vigin crow about

esselle
    Participant

Would a carrier with the “quality” heritage of Little Red want to be linked to an airport like Liverpool?

BusinessBabble
    Participant

Yep, true, the main options are BA, Easyjet and Little Red.

Are Little Red confirmed cutting back on Scotland flights, I know they’ve dropped or dropping a Manchester flight but I thought that was all something to do with handing slots back to Delta or whoever the slots were leased from?

The demise of BMI and Cityjet has resulted in less competition, but I guess there was a reason they were both losing so much money!

I agree the Gulfies have excellent coverage in Africa if you’re willing to make the schlep to the Gulf first, less of an issue if LHR isn’t your home airport. My next African flights are booked via Qatar, only 1 hour connection, adds 8 hours total to the journey, but was half the price of the direct option and heard good things about Qatar!

AMcWhirter
    Participant

BusinessBabble – Here’s the link again to the story we ran on Little Red dropping one its Manchester flights. Although published last November, it is still up-to-date. It also covers the other UK destinations and the slot issue.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/little-red-to-reduce-manchester-flights

HoundDog
    Participant

Rookie error not to come to GLA………after the demise of BMI on the GLA – LHR route there was a clear void to be filled – most BA flights on this route are close to full, so not rocket science to figure out where the opportunity lies…………that said, international transfers at T5 are so easy, why would I want a T1 experience ?

LeTigre
    Participant

Just thought I’d clarify (based on what I have been told) that the reduction in Manchester flights was definitely for slot reasons and not related to passenger numbers, which in fact, are increasing.

I seem to recall reading that in an interview or something but I’m struggling to find a link…

Anyway, the BT article states:

“Virgin Atlantic said the Manchester slots were “loaned from another carrier. We have now had to return these slots to their owner.” The carrier in question has not been named.”

So it does make one wonder why an article was written which casts doubt on what was an extremely clear announcement. In fact, I’d imagine that VS opened up about the slot reason partly to avoid people thinking it was cause of route performance.

Interestingly, the route was planned for only 3 daily flights from the start, see this airline gds update from August 2012:

http://airlineroute.net/2012/08/21/vs-lhrman-s13/

The fourth daily was added in a later update, some months after:

http://airlineroute.net/2013/03/01/vs-domestic-s13/

The fourth daily was also never available for booking in S14.

Interesting isn’t it?

Shearer
    Participant

I don’t think Virgin can use the slots for anything other than domestic flights.

While the loads may be lighter, crucially Virgin now have visibility again for the public choosing flights from MAN/ABZ/EDI to worldwide destinations where the is a choice between VS and partners vs. BA and partners. It was inconcievable that airlines should have to rely on the main competitor to provide feeder traffic.

It remains to be seen if this traffic is enough.

That BA claims to be unaffected by the arrival of Virgin either means they are not being totally honest or that VS has grown the overall market.

My pal who is a regular traveller on Little Red says loads are high.

Shearer
    Participant

PS – Dundee will retain London flights as FlyBe/Loganair start Dundee – Stansted services from the summer timetable.

727jesmond
    Participant

I see know reason why not, I live between the two airports, for the passenger, I find little difference between either. Except Liverpool Airport is quicker to pass through.

canucklad
    Participant

Hi 727jesmond

The rock n roll name of JLIA might seem like a nice fit for the Virgin brand alas the economic viability prospects are probably based more on the perception (wrongly) of the city of Liverpool rather than the potential of the route.

To me JLIA is synonymous with the programme “ Airline” and its close ties with Easyjet, it’s sort of the north of England’s equivalent to Prestwick !

And I’m sure our contributor’s from Yorkshire wonder why Leeds isn’t better served !

esselle
    Participant

LPL is physically a very poor airport, and now almost entirely given over to LCC operations. The route in to customs is narrow and cramped, and chaotic if more than one flight is clearing at the same time. Overall, the experience is not pleasant. The transport links in to the airport are also not easy.

MAN, by comparison, has excellent facilities, good quality transport links, and actually pulls pax from both LPL and LBA’s catchments.

Little Red would, I suspect, not have considered either of those options over MAN.

727jesmond
    Participant

Agree with what you are saying “canucklad”, Liverpool as a city would fit well with the Virgin brand. The city has changed dramatically in recent years and has a buzz about the place, some folk will still think about what it was like in the 80s, but that has long gone. My thought was rather than Virgin adopting a “me too” and go to MAN, think outside he box, however, I dont think the link will last long anyhow.

Dont agree with esselle, security at LPL is new with plenty of space, and quick. The airport has bus links as you would expect, and the new South Parkway Station close by was opened with airport passengers in mind. I would personally describe MAN as about average, and the same for LPL

I should say Im not from Liverpool from Kent, now live in Cheshire use both airports regularly and have no axe to grind.

esselle
    Participant

Have no axe to grind either, originally from Surrey, now also live in Cheshire.

Personally find LPL the most unpleasant airport in the UK. Agree with your comments, 727jesmond, about the city.

727jesmond
    Participant

Well we all have our opinions, I like BHX the most, and from the various UK airports I have used I can think of a number I would award the “most unpleasant” title before LPL…or MAN

esselle
    Participant

Have you ever arrived at LPL when there are already 150 pax standing on a metre wide staircase waiting to go down to customs, or waited on the metal clad stairway for 15 mins before going out onto the apron, when it is either 3 or 20 degrees outside?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 74 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls