Pool diving & Travel Insurance

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Whilst I know it is dangerous to speculate on the events but this article caught my eye today..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-46685948

I have long been an advocate for people not to buy travel insurance based on cost or a product being pushed as an add on to a holiday without full explanations of benefits, terms and conditions in clear and plain English.

Travellers should consider whether they are buying a Travel Insurance policy, regulated by the FCA, which benefits from full referral rights to Financial Ombudsman Service or a list of benefits being provided as part of a policy, where the traveller, is NOT the policy owner.

Travellers should research before they buy insurance to understand who the claims handlers are & the basis they operate, i.e. do they have anyone actually overseeing how they interpret terms and conditions.

Looking at the Insure and Go website

https://www.insureandgo.com/

.. they have a category for “Cheap Travel Insurance”

https://www.insureandgo.com/travel-insurance/cheap-travel-insurance

.. this surely is a recipe for disaster.

So I guess the overriding question in this case, is diving into a pool considered putting your self at risk?

I wish Sophie Wilson a speedy and full recovery …

4 users thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

It seesm very wrong that they did not cover her return costs to the UK or the medical bills. It seems to be an accident and if the signs were not prominent in many western countries she’s have a clear case of negligence against the property. But as an individual foreigner, against a local establishment she stands little chance. However, this is a case of where cheap turns out to be expensive, though, in fairness to her it does offer full medical cover up to GBP 5,000,000 so accident or not, they should have paid.

I hope they get plenty of negative cover from this and I also wish her a full and speedy recovery.

As an aside, in Switzerland almost every person has an annual policy with REGA. It’s about GBP 60 a year and they will not only rescue you from a mountain accident for example, but also repatriate you from abroad to Switzerland at no cost. Where they casn get it back from an insurance they will, otherwise it’s free to a policy holder. Shame this does not exist in the UK.

https://www.rega.ch/en/about-us.aspx

capetonianm
    Participant

This is about insurance rather than pool diving.

A few weeks ago I was in Barbados and had a minor but very painful problem with my knee meaning I was unable to walk, sit, or lie without severe pain.

I went to a clinic where I was treated, in both senses of the word, in an exemplary manner. The place was spotlessly clean and organised and would put many places in Europe and the UK to shame.

I was expecting to pay and then reclaim but they asked me if I had travel insurance and took details. They then told me that they would bill the insurance company direct.

A few days ago I got a copy of the bill, it was just under USD 800. A lot of money for a short consultation, a bit of prodding, an x-ray, and a scrip for some anti-inflammatories.

A salutary lesson in the cost of medical care in North America, and the importance of a good travel insurance.

I am sure we all know this but sometimes a reminder is timely.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=911560]I wish Sophie Wilson a speedy and full recovery …[/quote]

Ditto

With my limited experience of trying to make a justified claim , I’ve found that Insurance companies will try everything excuse going bar paying out .

My favourite excuse was to be told that since you should have been in possession of the stolen item when it was stolen , to realize when it was being stolen….. Total gibberish.
    After a strong letter they paid up (some of the value) for my girlfriends camera.

[quote quote=911560]So I guess the overriding question in this case, is diving into a pool considered putting your self at risk?[/quote]

Clearly It’s ridiculous to put diving into a pool as putting yourself at risk category
    Sadly in this case, the insurance company is going to cite the “No Diving” signs as their get out clause

Henryp1
    Participant

I wouldn’t wish anyone harm in anyway. I always choose to have maximum cover with insurance, even with the best will in the world to comply with terms of policies, you may still potentially be injured by others behaviours. I haven’t read in detail what happened to the person named, but knowing the cost of repatriation due to illness or injury it does surprise me that it’s not compulsory. The costs have been public for a very long time now.

Fortunately I’ve never had my limited claims refused, but when talking to friends/colleagues who have, they always cite that they were trying to get one over the company or were not able to fully furnish the required information or details.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Of course diving into a pool is dangerous. In the US I had them and insurance companies baulked at coverage if you had diving boards or slides. I took my diving boards out and would certainly never consider diving in an unfamiliar pool. I am afraid that one has to err on the safe side to make sure insurance covers you. Capetonianm, you note the quality of the clinic in Barbados compared to the UK and Europe – I imagine you could find the same in the UK if you were prepared to pay $800 to see a doctor.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I also wish Ms Wilson a full recovery.

I seem to recall that there is a specific drug that can be injected within (IIRC) 48 hours of a spinal cord injury that significantly reduces the risk of paralysis. I have been trying to work out what that drug is (I would like to know so that if the unthinkable happens and I or my family have such an injury I can specifically ask for it) but have had no luck – all my searches just throw up newer experimental treatments. I know there are a few medics on here – can anyone remind me of the drug’s name?

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=911560]So I guess the overriding question in this case, is diving into a pool considered putting your self at risk?[/quote]

I am sure the insurers will say diving into a pool with a sign saying ‘No Diving’ and without checking the depth is not a smart plan.

However without seeing the layout, signage etc I’m not sure how it’s possible to comment.

Swissdiver
    Participant

As a non-British resident, there is something I hardly get. Ms Wilson had an accident. Where I come from, this would be covered by my regular health insurance, that is global as long as my place of residence doesn’t change (i.e. I am on holiday or on business trip). Repatriation is however an extension that can be either included in the policy, or added through a travel insurance. From what I read in this thread, it seems international medical assistance is not covered in the UK. Is it because you are all benefiting from NHS?

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=935091]As a non-British resident, there is something I hardly get. Ms Wilson had an accident. Where I come from, this would be covered by my regular health insurance, that is global as long as my place of residence doesn’t change (i.e. I am on holiday or on business trip). Repatriation is however an extension that can be either included in the policy, or added through a travel insurance. From what I read in this thread, it seems international medical assistance is not covered in the UK. Is it because you are all benefiting from NHS?[/quote]

Not everyone in UK has “regular health insurance”, indeed this is because we are covered by NHS.

NHS doesnt provide cover internationally (other than some basic cover in EU via EHIC) which is why travel insurance is essential. I suppose these days with pressure on claims insurers will look more critically at claims…..

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls