Ponant Cruises refuse refund!

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1001139][/postquote]

If paid for on a UK card then the Consumer Credit Act will apply. That is UK law.

Same process as those clients who have complained to card providers about Emirates obstructive approach.

1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

Thank you for confirming that Simon, I think it’s important for many here.

I often pay with a UK CC for purchases or journeys outside the UK. I recently had a dispute with a Spanish company and wasn’t 100% sure, in the end they backed down when I threatened legal action. I think they thought I was a stupid ‘guiri’ (insulting Spanish word for foreigners, specially tourists) until I told them that I was instructing my brother-in-law, who is a lawyer (procurador, which is someone who represents one in court), to contact them.

There is good information here (I’ve taken out the https://www parts of the URLs as it blocks the posting if there are more than two).
    theukcardsassociation.org.uk/wm_documents/9555_Using_Cards_Abroad-v4.pdf
    and here :
    which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/section-75-of-the-consumer-credit-act
    Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act also applies to foreign transactions as well as goods bought online, by telephone or mail order for delivery to the UK from overseas.

I seem to remember that the redoubtable Mr. Lewis said something on this subject last year.

openfly
    Participant

Again, thankyou to all for the helpful information in trying to secure a refund for this Ponant cancelled cruise.

We wrote, yet again, to Ponant quoting the appropriate French govt rules on travel refunds, as discussed in previous posts. Bingo, it has worked. Ponant have replied. Because we booked our cruise with them direct, amended French law states that we have to wait 2 years for our refund. A bummer…hey ho, a result. Not the best, but at least we now have their attention and the prospect of refund.

All your help is greatly appreciated.

AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

We had two cruises booked fully paid for, one for end of March with Seabourn, and one in June with SilverSea. Seabourn cancelled the cruise in Mid March and our refund has still not been paid. Our BA tickets to BGI to meet the ship, were refunded within 4 days of cancellation. Silversea cancelled our June Cruise in May, and the refund was on our account with 28 days. Our BA tickets to meet that ship we took in vouchers which we have since used for future travel end of the year. The way Seabourn has handled this process is a disgrace. I have tried to find a contact to deal with but am continually directed to our personal cruise consultant who is not at fault for the delay of the refund, and can only quote the company line. If anyone has a contact to whom I can raise this issue higher I would be most grateful.

openfly
    Participant

Hi…if you have a Twitter account look for Seabourne…and George Lusty…message them both publicly. Seabourne will not like to be shamed so publicly. Good luck.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1002549][/postquote]

I presume you have been through the claim process outlined on their website?

If so to be honest I would say you are wasting your time. Clearly the operator isn’t going to pay unless backed into a corner (or perhaps they can’t pay).

I believe your best line of enquiry is your travel insurer or card provider. That could be a charge back, claim under CCA, claim under insurance policy or so on. If on a credit card your provider is of course jointly liable and perhaps an easier target.

Hawk89gt
    Participant

I’m having the same issues with Paul Gaugin cruises in French Polynesia, owned by Ponant apparently. Last year’s cruise was cancelled, all I was offered was a voucher. This year, the country is open, my wife an I are vaccinated, and they have cancelled all cruises until August (ours was in July). They have said they will “request” a refund, but it could take up to 120 days to process – something I cannot wrap my head around, 120 days??? They’ve had our money for 2 years!

Now, to add insult to injury, they just grabbed another $3500 from my CC for the balance of this years cruise that they CANCELLED!

Worst customer service I’ve ever seen. Avoid this company.

ASK1945
    Participant

I wouldn’t hang around about this extra $3,500. I would just go directly to your credit card company and request a chargeback.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls