Plume of Ash Closes Scottish Airspace

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

To correct my earlier posting about KLM’s generosity. I was misinformed and KLM are applying the same rules as Emirates – 24 hours and you’re out because the cause of the problem is the weather!! Given that room rates have hiked in Hong Kong in response to the situation, this will create real problems for leisure travellers and those not adequately covered by insurance worldwode.

LindsayW
    Participant

Harking back to lloydah’s statement from BBC about that couple, my understanding is that Emirates would be in breach of EU regulation 260/2004 if it had applied. It doesn’t, as EK is a non EU registered carrier and the flight was not FROM an EU port.

Under this regulation, there is no clause in relation to “extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken” that allow to airlines to avoid their duty of care obligations. They must feed and also accommodate passengers “where a stay of one or more nights becomes necessary”.

Article 6: url=http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32004R0261:EN:HTML

Article 6

Delay

1. When an operating air carrier reasonably expects a flight to be delayed beyond its scheduled time of departure:

(a) for two hours or more in the case of flights of 1500 kilometres or less; or

(b) for three hours or more in the case of all intra-Community flights of more than 1500 kilometres and of all other flights between 1500 and 3500 kilometres; or

(c) for four hours or more in the case of all flights not falling under (a) or (b),

passengers shall be offered by the operating air carrier:

(i) the assistance specified in Article 9(1)(a) and 9(2); and

(ii) when the reasonably expected time of departure is at least the day after the time of departure previously announced, the assistance specified in Article 9(1)(b) and 9(1)(c); and

(iii) when the delay is at least five hours, the assistance specified in Article 8(1)(a).

and Article 9, particularly sub-section 1b:

Article 9

Right to care

1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered free of charge:

(a) meals and refreshments in a reasonable relation to the waiting time;

(b) hotel accommodation in cases

– where a stay of one or more nights becomes necessary, or

– where a stay additional to that intended by the passenger becomes necessary;

(c) transport between the airport and place of accommodation (hotel or other).

2. In addition, passengers shall be offered free of charge two telephone calls, telex or fax messages, or e-mails.

3. In applying this Article, the operating air carrier shall pay particular attention to the needs of persons with reduced mobility and any persons accompanying them, as well as to the needs of unaccompanied children.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Well, there is one aircraft flying over the UK right now:

http://www.flightradar24.com/

Seems to be a DHL freighter.

VintageKrug
    Participant

LindsayW
    Participant

This BBC News article makes interesting reading in relation to KLM and Lufthansa:

“The Netherlands’ KLM said one of its planes, a Boeing 737, had reached its maximum operating altitude of about 13km in the skies over the Netherlands, and there had been no problems during the flight.

The aircraft and its engines were being inspected for possible damage. After the results of that technical inspection the airline hopes to get permission from the aviation authorities to start up operations again.

Germany’s Lufthansa said it had flown several planes to Frankfurt from Munich.

“All airplanes have been inspected on arrival in Frankfurt but there was no damage to the cockpit windows or fuselage and no impact on the engines,” a spokesman said.”

BBC News – Volcanic ash spreads more travel misery across Europe:
    url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8627720.stm

PaulJennings
    Participant

For my own part, I was on an SQ flight from SIN to LHR on Thursday that was turned back half way. We arrived back in SIN around midnight, spent the night in the business class lounge and then moved to a hotel the following day. We were also offered seats on a flight to FRA which we decided against. SQ offered to pay for 2 nights hotel and meals and distributed phone cards. SQ is very apologetic and the staff do thier best to explain the options. Communication was poor at first with noone talking to anyone else but improved after the first 12 hours or so.

Hotels are very full here.

I have travel insurance with greenbee and I don’t know why I bothered. So far they have been completely useless. Their office is open only for a few hours a day but they don’t respond to emails or phone calls and their concierge service admitted that they ‘haven’t decided what they will cover’.

Anyone else?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi – I love it when bloggers admit toconfirm their professions. May I use this forum to ask Roger Victor a question:

Why are VFR fligths at or below 8000′ not being authorised for cross channel flights and why cant Heathrow accept special VFR landings to asist in moving stranded passengers. I completely understand the restricted nature of airpsace around Heathrow but it seems to me that Slot times at Heathrow arnt exactly an issue at the moment and I also look up into the sky and unlike most ATPL’s flying hte heavy metal, I appreciate the blue sky. For the record, my company have available 2 empty G4’s they are willing to use to assist moving people and unlike Mr. 747 pilot, we are very happy to fly these for up to an hour at a time at 8000′ max VFR. I feel confident that ATC and radar services can be provided over the next few days.

How many other private pilots PLUS a professional instructor in tow would relish the opportunity to take a 4 – 6 seater single or twin over the channel into Amsterdam, Bruseels, Ostend etc and try to bring back some of the needy Brits. Its at times like this that we as a nation can come together and show that mother nature will not beat us rather than the usual british attitdue of, oh, lets take 2 days off, put our feet up and wait for the first class seats to become available!!!

RogerVictor, I would be interested to hear your views.

By the way, thanks for all the help and assitance you guys provide in the normal course of events. A lot of us are very appreciative of the work you guys do. Many thanks – u dont get enough praise.

NTarrant
    Participant

I am a bit confused about these VFR flights not being allowed accross the Channel. Certainly a few years ago you could do a flight from Shoreham to Le Touquet as a day out. Or is this not the same thing?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Still very little up in the air:

Potakas
    Participant

I have arrange a flight Edi-ATH via LHR at 24th of April do you think is possible this days the sky to be clear or you think that i should cancel the trip?Is it also possible that those Days Greek airspace to have the problem?

VintageKrug
    Participant

According to the beeb:

“A British Airways Boeing 747 will carry out a test flight from Heathrow to Cardiff on Sunday evening, with five people on board including chief executive Willie Walsh.”

Potakas
    Participant

VK according to the link you wrote, now you can see more traffic over Germany, I read that Frankfurt airport resumed operations for a couple of hours.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2009-12-22-frankfurt-winter-weather_N.htm

TominScotland
    Participant

While we all vex ourselves silly about how/ when/ where/if our next flight will be, its perhaps worth taking a pause to reflect on this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_8626000/8626927.stm

VintageKrug
    Participant

You can see WW’s flight over the West of Ireland right now:

Hopefully these test flights by AF, KLM, LF and BA will result in some rationality returning to the situation, at least permitting flight at less affected altitudes rather than a blanket ban.

Here is an article which shows the damage which can be done as a consequence of this eruption:

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/04/16/340727/pictures-finnish-f-18-engine-check-reveals-effects-of-volcanic.html

MartynSinclair
    Participant

how come you are not on board VK. Most dissappointed! (mind you – u & Willy could be testing the new BA web access………….hmmmm

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls