Pleonasm Awards

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

That reminds me of another golfing one, attributed to David Coleman but I don’t think it was him that said it:

“One of the reasons Arnie (Arnold Palmer) is playing so well is that, before each tee-shot, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them”.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Then there is the famous comment by Jonathan Agnew commenting at a Lords Test Match when Ian Botham in full charge tried to hook a bouncer out of the ground and in so trying he missed, stepped back and trod on his wicket. Brian Johnston said “What a pity” and Agnew responded with “Yes indeed a pity; he couldn’t quite get his leg over”!!. Cue convulsive and uncontrollable laughter from the commentary box, a shaking camera which went on for 2+ minutes unabated. It featured in a BBC tribute to Brian Johnston.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Good old Johnners. he was a brilliant commentator. Alas the only one still alive who can compare I think is Henry “Blowers” Blofeld.
    Sadly we hardly hear him anymore.

esselle
    Participant

Does anybody remember “…the batsman’s Holding, the bowler’s Willie..”?

Tasclean
    Participant

Instructions on a jar: on the bottom it said ‘Open other end’ and on the top ‘see other end for instructions’

At Narita during building work, plywood partions, temporary walkways etc – a neat sign with an arrow saying ‘to next’

MrMichael
    Participant

Have to tell you my favourite cricket sledge while on the subject. Shane Warne goes in to bat…Alec Stewart (wicket keeper)……..”hey Shane, your putting a few pounds on…still on the cheese sandwiches?” No quipped Shane, “it’s your wife…every time I make love to her she gives me a biscuit:.

fatbear
    Participant

“Would all passengers wishing to travel to Mauritius on flight xxx please go to Gate 6”.

I wished I was going to Mauritius, but boarded my flight to Brussels instead

fatbear
    Participant

James Ormond goes out to bat on his England debut at the Oval versus Australia. As he gets to the crease, Mark Waugh says “What are you doing here, I thought this was a test match not village cricket”.

Ormond replied “At least I’m the best cricketer in my family!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Many years ago, I watched a programme I remember very clearly – at least, ten seconds or so. It was the Kilroy-Silk show (I was at home, off sick from school, and desperate for entertainment), doing a feature on unwanted pregnancies / single mothers.

Kilroy-Silk, to young single mother: “Did you intend to get pregnant?”

Mother: “No, it was a cock-up”

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls