Pleonasm Awards

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Poshgirl, as told by my father, when I was born, and in those days the husbands were not allowed to be in the room, the nurse came to announce my birth and when my father asked if it was a boy or girl replied, “I’ll give you three guesses”!

icenspice
    Participant

Does

‘Happy Hour
    18:00-20:00’

count?

I had no idea what a pleonasm was ?

IanFromHKG
    Participant

ATM machines (the M stands for machine)

My pet peeve – people who can’t tell when to use “fewer” and when to use “less”. Hong Kong is littered (pun intended) with signs encouraging people to “Use less plastic bags” (cringe). While we’re at it, don’t get me started on “I/me” or “he/she/him/her”!

Ahmad
    Participant

There is also the issue of literal translation which doesn’t come out quite as intended. A signboard in Cairo (name changed):

Dr Ezzat Ebrahim
    MD, JD, Diplo. OB/GYN
    Specializing in Women and other Diseases

K1ngston
    Participant

+1 Ahmad 🙂

capetonianm
    Participant

If we’re on to that :
    “Gentlemen are advised not to engage the services of lady solicitors in the street.”
    and
    “In the case of a fire, guests should evacuate themselves in the corridor.”

Both are grammatically perfectly correct!

stevescoots
    Participant

[quote quote=803162]ATM machines (the M stands for machine)

My pet peeve – people who can’t tell when to use “fewer” and when to use “less”. Hong Kong is littered (pun intended) with signs encouraging people to “Use less plastic bags” (cringe). While we’re at it, don’t get me started on “I/me” or “he/she/him/her”!

[/quote]

The the level of English in Hk will soon be down to the same as the mainland, next they will be using times new roman font everywhere too!

Ahmad
    Participant

Anything wrong with times new roman font? I happen to like it!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=802778]SAA always used to announce :
    “This is the last call for the three passengers delaying flight SA314 to board immediately through gate 6”
    Five minutes later you’d hear :
    “This is the last and final call for the three passengers delaying flight SA314 to board immediately through gate 6”
    Which would be followed by :
    “This is absolutely the last and final call for the three passengers delaying flight SA314 to board immediately through gate 6”

[/quote]

I’ve heard this elsewhere, followed by the ludicrously illogical sentence….

“Passengers X, Y andZ, please go immediately to gate XX, where you flight is fully boarded and waiting an ontime departure”.

If it is fully boarded, how are they gonna fit the extra pax on?

GivingupBA
    Participant

One of my favourites is the reported sign in Moscow, “If this is your first visit to Moscow, you are welcome to it”.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

It intrigues me when you get the occasional, thankfully, report of two aircraft involved in a “near miss”. A logical extension of that is they actually hit each other!. Maybe it should be renamed a “near hit”

esselle
    Participant

There used to be a roadside sign which proclaimed “Welcome to the Isle of Dogs”.

Somebody had spray painted the word “You’re” in front of the sentence.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

An instruction on a jam jar lid “Press Down and Push Off”

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

…not to mention the sign in the locker room of a Golf Club – “Members are kindly reminded to wash their balls in the sinks provided and not on the floor”. The mind boggles!!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=803291]…not to mention the sign in the locker room of a Golf Club – “Members are kindly reminded to wash their balls in the sinks provided and not on the floor”. The mind boggles!!

[/quote]

CathyLoyalist +1 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls