Plaudits to THAI

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• traveldoc1
    Participant

THAI has not been one of my favourite airlines for quite some time, though they are getting better. However being based in Bangkok I often have few other choices in the region.

So…HUGE plaudits and thanks to the crew of TG 668 (BKK-CAN) on Wednesday 17th July who were one of the best crews I’ve ever had the pleasure of flying with. CSD came round to every passenger in J before takeoff and introduced himself. He hovered throughout the flight, making sure all was well and said “goodbye and thanks” to every passenger after landing. The rest of the crew were also smiling, pleasant, efficient… such a treat. That you to all of them.

1 user thanked author for this post.

FransBcn
    Participant

Good to know! I’m flying TG to KMG in September. I know they operate to CAN with A350, and B777 to KMG.

Have you ever tried their B777 cabin product? Thanks!

iflypremium
    Participant

The crew you describe on this one Thai Airways flight are the same on every Thai flight ; gracious,generous,polite,friendly..are you saying you have had not so nice crew on THAI flights ?

traveldoc1
    Participant

I’ve had a whole variety of experiences, but this one was exceptional. Better than the crew on a flight to Delhi who did the cabin service as soon a possible and then lounged on the business class seats at the back of the cabin – that they had had the foresight to put “reserved” notices on!!!

traveldoc1
    Participant

In 2-2-2 format it’s OK but nothing special. On the -300ER it’s offset 1-2-1 seating which is much better.

MarcusGB
    Participant

I have to agree, even though i mostly choose Thai for regional travel through Asia. Their Business Class Regionally are always Long haul cabins so very much space, and larger jets such as A333 350/ 777’s.
    However they still run some quite old aircraft and often change plane types.
    The meals are also very good and a vegetarian option always a treat. Lounges also very good, well staffed, great foods, especially in BKK for Biz and First.
    But the crew reflect Thai Culture, which as we all know, is one of the most embracing, gentle, of great courtesy, welcome, and a gift to travel with.
    They truly represent their country typically..dare i say so do Air France and BA!!!

cwoodward
    Participant

I find the Cathay Pacific Thai cabin crew and ISMs always exceptionally good. Cathay cabin crew are almost always good but these ladies are generally a step above.
    Twenty five – thirty years ago there was a higher percentage of crew from all over Asia but some short sighted management decision reduced the percentage of non HK crew and now the local union objects to any increase.
    The crews made up of several nationalities offered another dimension in the cabin service. The HK ladies are very efficient and kind but to my mind the Thai Malaysian and Filipino crew find it easier to interact with passengers and that tends to generate a more interactive relaxed atmosphere.

K1ngston
    Participant

My experiences vary also, what infuriates me at BKK is that invariably you have to be bussed to your flight and this does not add to the experience however the inflight service is definitely a cut above the rest. Having moved to Phuket recently we are using them more and more and mentioned their 45 min 747-400 service from BKK to HKT is comfortable…

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[quote quote=950755]Lounges also very good, well staffed, great foods, especially in BKK for Biz and First.[/quote]

I must confess, Marcus, that I am a little surprised by this comment. I happen to think their Biz lounges in BKK (both international and domestic) are dismal. My personal view is that the international J lounge that you encounter just to the left of the walkway down from immigration at Suvarnabhumi is dark, dank, poorly staffed (with clearing of tables happening very infrequently), with a hopeless bar, dreadful wine, and nothing that I can think of to recommend it other than the theoretical possibility of using the spa – but in 25 years in Asia I have never managed to get a booking there. The domestic lounge has the most uncomfortable lounge seats I have ever encountered – each time I go there I have to remind myself that although they LOOK comfortable, any attempt to sit down must be undertaken very gingerly to avoid bruising my coccyx. The “quasi-open-air” section at the end of the lounge which purports to give you an outdoor feel, with parasols and a garden atmosphere, would work much better if it were air-conditioned. But it isn’t, so it’s intolerable for any length of time.

The other TG lounges I see are those in HKG and HKT.

The lounge in HKG is reasonably good – it is spacious and airy, has showers (good for a shorthaul outstation, although of course it operates as a longhaul outstation for some other *A airlines such as LH), food is ok, staff are pleasant. However, it’s nowhere near as good as the SQ or UA lounges, which most *A travellers with access rights should (IMHO) use instead.

However, the lounges in HKT (there are two, but they are very similar) are overcrowded, noisy, poorly catered, and don’t have great staff – whether we are flying on KA (who use them as their designated lounges) or TG, the “welcome” is desultory at best. The staff normally huddle at the back and look startled if you point out that they have run out of teabags / hot water / whatever. The tables are cleared infrequently, and the best I can say of it is that it is marginally preferable to sitting outside. Marginally. Very marginally. We normally go across to Burger King on the same level to get something edible. Yes, the catering is that bad.

Bearing in mind that status or premium passengers get, in most major airports, a choice of lounges to use through alliance arrangements, I can’t think of a single THAI lounge that I have been to that I would choose as the best option. Not one.

4 users thanked author for this post.

traveldoc1
    Participant

I fully agree that the main THAI lounge in BKK is pretty awful. There are smaller lounges in C and E wings which I find rather more comfortable and at least they look out onto the aircraft apron. But choice of food and wines remains average at best.

BPP
    Participant

Have to agree that Thai Lounges in BKK are ABYSMAL. The main one is always overcrowded, poor food / wine, dreadful coffee. Such a contrast to the onboard experience.
    Thai – are you listening!!
    BPP

3 users thanked author for this post.

thebigseats
    Participant

TG BKK lounges are being renovated shortly.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls