Pitched Perfectly: A Ticket Home for Mum

Back to Forum
Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)

• FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“- the aircraft used were noisy, flew lower (so more turbulence) and generally a far less comfortable experience
    – economy aircraft catering was much worse than today”

I don’t know what airlines you flew on, but the above points are not true in my experience of 37 years or airline travel (35 on business.)

Unless you are referring to propellor driven aircraft, aircraft often flew at higher flight levels in the early jet age, e.g. the ‘straight pipe’ 707s and DC8s would use the early 40s quite regularly, a trend that was lost in the 1970s, where the 30s became more normal. Now we are seeing the 40s more with the 738, 777 and 787, as well as the A330/A340. Economy seating generally had more seat pitch on long haul and often more shoulder room, compared to a 10 across 777 or 9 across 787.

The aircraft were noisier neighbours, but internally not much different to a 767 or 737 today.

Propellor aircraft (with the exception of the SAAB 2000 and similar rocketships) still tend to cruise in the ‘mid teens.’

Economy food was in a different league (better) in the 1970s/80s, compared to today. In fact, an economy meal in 1978 was similar to a business class meal today, in shorthaul. And I don’t remember BA in the early 1980s ever serving a muffin as breakfast, on a transatlantic flight.

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls