Pilotless Aeroplanes.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

• Anonymous

TheRealSlimShady
    Participant

Would you ever get on board an aircraft without pilots?
    e.g. if these aircraft controlled from the ground in a similar way to drones

Does the BT community feel that this will ever happen, and if so when?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

absolutely no doubt this will happen – but hopefully not in my lifetime. No I would not get on!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

We have driverless trains, so why not planes? Except that if a train breaks down an engineer can be there in minutes to fix it and another locomotive can pull it back to a station. How would you do that with a plane at 35,000′???

No, I wouldn’t get on it either!

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

IMHO, what will happen is that automation will advance to the degree where the minimum crew will be one pilot.

Don’t know how long this will take, but I see it as a natural progression, just like moving from 4 to 2 engines on long haul.

This doesn’t mean I agree with it or like it.

canucklad
    Participant

Won’t happen in the lifetime of the pre-gamer generation as we put our trust in the greatest computing machine of all— the human brain—

I use spell checker but still double check and importantly correct the machines mistakes!!

Currently it would be a very stupid airline to market a pilotless airline, especially when you have Cpt Sully as a shining example of why humans are required…

Now, once us dinosaurs head off to become fossils, the brave new world of “generation Wii” — a generation defined by the fact that they truely believe they have actually played tennis,golf or boxed, when in actual fact they havn’t moved from the comfort of their bedroom—when this generation become decision makers then ” Drone 787’s ” will become reality because I predict that “Generation Wii” will abdicate their problen solving intellect to computers as a matter of course!

I’ve already tired of arguing against the ” we only need to teach them where to find the answers” brigade”

Marketing wise its at this point the launch airline moves from being stupid to being described as brave and innovative!

Remember folks the technology already exists!

openfly
    Participant

A BA Captain friend of mine said that he would not get on a pilotless aircraft.

craigwatson
    Participant

Would I get on one? No, in 30-40 years?… yes i probably would ( although i’ll be long gone by then)

It won’t be remote controlled aircraft either, but fully autonomous aircraft that can communicate between each other that will be the future. All transportation will be that way in the future, the question is when… My 2 cents.. Trains – 15yrs, Cars/Buses/Coach – 20yrs, Aircraft – 30-35 yrs.

craigwatson
    Participant

There are already currently running test flights in UK airspace with unmanned commercial aircraft.

Viking777
    Participant

Imagine 2 first class seats where the pilots sits now with windows all around you. Im sure they could be sold for a good price.

When the technology has been tested and approved I would not have a problem with it. Just a question of time before it will happen.

pomerol
    Participant

I read somewhere about 2 years ago, I can’t remember where, but I apologize now if it was here, that a guy who worked in the aviation industry, was giving his opinion on where technology was going, said “in the near future the cockpit will be occupied by 1 Pilot and a Dog”, when asked what the Dog was for, he replied, “to make sure the Pilot does not touch anything.”

Stringfellow
    Participant

Some of my work involves spending time with those who ‘fly’ UAV’s and UCAV’s. Not one of them would ever get on an unmanned passenger aircraft.

BigDog.
    Participant

If this was 1/4 I would be thinking it was a wind-up

…As a blue and red 16-seater plane accelerated along a runway last month in northern England, there was nothing to suggest its voyage was anything out of the ordinary.

But minutes later, as the plane turned north and began a 500-mile round trip from Lancashire to Inverness, history was made….

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2325263/Would-fly-plane-pilot-As-passenger-jet-controls-roars-Britain-passengers-soon-face-worrying-dilemma.html

However I do see pilotless Airships, for cargo and use in disaster areas having a future within the decade…

http://news.discovery.com/autos/military-vehicles/massive-airship-flying-start-1302051.htm

VintageKrug
    Participant

I would certainly get on one, and I’d imagine it won’t be too long before we see it.

In reality, so much of the flight is automated these days that we’re not far off it already.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Of course it will happen, but its a long way off. Computers only work when programmed – to fly 100% (from engine start to shutdown) the computer will need to think and make decisions….. wont happen in our life time…..

Flown from the ground remote control style – the technology is already here…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls