Philippine Airlines–Who ??

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone !!

I am just planning my flights itinerary for Nov. 09. One of my segments will be a business trip in MNL fo 3 days. After that I need to fly to SFO as fast as I can for my next assignment. I tried to find the quickest connection and the one I found was with PR.

I have not tried them yet internationally. I mean have not got the chance to fly with their B747 and A340/330 or more like to ignore them. Last time I flew PR–the experience was back in 1991 when we flew MNL-CEB with an old B737. As it was a domestic flight I would not rate it as a bad experience. It was just ” alright “. My fellow travellers just plainly said–” lucky we land back in one piece…. ”
    So everyone I need some references from your own experiences ?? Do you think I should try their C or F cabin?? Or do not waste time and book one of the renowned airlines CX, SQ, NH, OZ ….??

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Hello,

I’m sure our readers will have up-to-date information on flight reviews, but there is some relevant news on this link from Business Traveller including news on the cabin refit.

http://asia.businesstraveller.com/tags/Philippine+Airlines

JackyLek
    Participant

PR has nice crew and meals, but A/C and inflight products isnt the best.
    But I think U will survive the trip if U a good sleeper. Personal I will rather fly via NRT with JL or ANA. If U want the shortest way with connection. Good Luck!

PaulJennings
    Participant

I would suggest Tokyo as a quick route and you could travel with JAL. I travelled in longhaul business class with JAL recently and was impressed with the overall comfort and service.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I seem to remember Philippine Airlines was one of the very first to have beds on board:

“In the ’80s, Japan Airlines and Philippine Airlines had spiral staircases leading to an upper deck of curtained-off beds aboard their 747s”

Can’t find any pics to substantiate that, though….

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone !!

I informed myself over PR in their homesite—they are refurbishing their long haul aircrafts with lie flat angled seats from Recaro( like LH, AY..) Well, as I am not a supporter of lie flat angled seats–I would be considering to fly CX or try JL. Or any other suggestions–folks??

Thank you for everyone who answered my post !!! I tell you soon which airline will be my choice and a shorp trip report.

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone !!

Just found out–that PR’s A340 is still offering the old F full flat seats to their route to YVR and perhaps to SFO–do anyone tend to know about the experience flying with these old F seats or one of the BT Asia Pacific travel experts ?? Do I have to book F ( do they still sell this class in there routes to YVR or SFO ?) or just C inorder to book this seat ??

StephenJWhitworth
    Participant

There are two sensible alternatives out of MNL to SFO, obviously PAL is quicker and with no change of plane and a regular service so most days covered. The other way is CX with a change of plane in HGK. No one in their right mind, unless an avid points collector, would consider flying SQ and backtrack nearly 4 hours, to make it up on the way back and likely with a technical stop in maybe TPE on the way to collect fuel. NW can also get you there with a change of plane in Tokyo but its an awful journey due to a break after 4 hours around an airport before settling down to the long haul. With CX it is only an hour and 40 mins, with often a few hours or even less to transit a very nice airport in Hong Kong especially if invited in one of their lounges. I have not been on a PAL long haul for a while, I have to distant Asian destinations recently after a long break and both the aircraft and service have improved. As I live in MNL there is something very pleasant getting on a plane and then getting off in your final destination from the same plane without a transit. Not always possible from MNL, but there are more choices now. Give it a try on Business Class, don’t expect the many channels of on demand TV of CX, nor the same gloss. Haha but expect the same Nationality of cabin crew as CX have many that originate in the Philippines! Would be interested to hear your experiences.

Hess963
    Participant

Thanks Stephen !!

Nice of you to respond. As you say–you live in MNL and experienced PR.
    Can you tell me how is the lounge experience in MNL? Have you tried the A340 with the old F class seat? How is the new refurbished C class feels in PR ??

As you can see I am still undecisive–I know CX C product very good. I know what lounge and transit experience awaits me in HKG–It has been always an ease to make a stop in HKG. I think this time it is not sensible to take SQ flight from MNL than forward to SFO–with all those backtracking and lost time. I am not a Movie/TV pax on board–I am more for relaxation( that is why a full bed is important) and definitely good catering( food and wines). I am pretty sure as you have said that CX F/As are mostly from the Philippines–so there will be definitely a very good service attitude on board.

I just wonder why PR refurbished their C product with (in my opinion) inferior angled lie flat seat from Recaro–while Garuda Indonesia Airlines went to full flat?–which is a very genius decision and broader thinking for the future. Or is PR planning to refurbish its F class product in the near future?

StephenJWhitworth
    Participant

Since posting a reply earlier I have seen PAL introduce a brand new layoput in its 747 aircraft and I must say rather impressive. Side by side arrangements rather than the rather strange crab type arrangements on CX ( although fine if travelling alone!). Not on every aircraft yet by all means but I understand that the conversion is being rushed to complete across the fleet. This makes the flight from MNL to USA very desirable and worth a try.

StephenJWhitworth
    Participant

No more skybeds I am afraid these were removed some time back, and beat every new bed/seat arrangement in the sky, they were real beds and I doubt we will ever see anything like them again!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls