Pfizer and BioNTech vaccine release by end November ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

• IanFromHKG
    Participant

[quote quote=1017185]It’s also the first time this method has ever been used[/quote]

True for the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, but not the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine methodology. I was encouraged to read today that it seems to produce an equally strong immune response in the elderly who are, of course, at higher risk. Easier to deal with logistically, too, since it only needs to be transported and stored at low (4-8 C), but not hugely subzero, temperatures. And it’s much, much cheaper

1 user thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

[postquote quote=1017185][/postquote]

Of course, you are certainly entitled to your opinion and decision not to be first in line. Depending upon your age, you may not have a high-level risk factor, so won’t be offered a vaccine early, anyway.

Those of us in a high risk (of the consequences of catching Covid-19) will be offered one of the vaccinations early. The tipping point (for me) is that there have been more people involved in producing a safe vaccine than has ever occurred in the world before, and the numbers taking part in trialling the vaccination are also greater than is usual.

Certainly, there is still risk of something untoward being identified maybe 5 years or so down the line – but life is full of risk. But, for those like me, who are in the high risk group of the consequences from catching Covid-19, the balance of risk tips towards having the vaccination ASAP.

8 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

No-one will be forced to have a vaccine. The Government will make it available, at which point people can choose whether to have it, or to go without. The key thing is that restrictions will be ended and so there will be a need to weight up the risks of falling ill vs the risks of being vaccinated.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1017185]No thanks I’ll wait awhile to see the results of this worldwide test,[/quote]

Earlier in the year I had a similar view, no new and untested vaccine going into me….

I take a different view right now. I may not agree with all the Government rules, but I follow the rules and restrictions. What worries and scares me the most, is not necessarily Covid 19 itself, but the effing idiots that still do not believe the restrictions apply to them and continue to act and live as if they do not have a care in the world & in some cases, don’t even believe Covid 19 exists.

I will willingly and gladly get in line for the vaccine to protect myself more against the effing idiots that I believe are just as much a danger, as the virus itself.

As a side issue, I have a close friend who I only recently knew was involved with the research and testing for one the vaccines. He has given me sufficient confidence to take the shot, when my turn comes round. Incidentally, he is under a strict nda and will NOT to disclose which vaccine he is working on.

Have a wonderful and healthy weekend everyone.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

It has just been announced that the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine has been approved by the regulator in the UK, and the process of vaccinating people will start next week.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m torn! It’s not that I’m anti-vaccine, but I just think the whole test programme has been done too quickly. I was reading that in the test programme, they did not define those who took the vaccine and those that took the vaccine but also socially distanced and wore masks. So in a whole group of people it’s not possible to say if they avoided the virus by taking precautions, or by the vaccine.

I guess time will tell!

RoyJones
    Participant

I am just wondering what difference there will be post being vaccinated. Will you get an Internationally recognised certificate and what happens if one of the vaccines is not recognised in a particular country? I am thinking you will still need a COVID test prior to visiting any country (unless there is a bilateral agreement) as vaccination protects you, not others from you. Yes, I intend to get vaccinated when my turn comes – it will ease my piece of mind but will it truly ease my travel restrictions?

2 users thanked author for this post.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

It will take most of next year to reach a point where there is a “clearer” picture of where vaccinations have been rolled out, who has been vaccinated, what effect that has had on travel, whether countries have agreed around a common standard and what they will accept all set against a background of where in the world the infections are still increasing. Keep in view Qantas has announced you will only be able to fly with them internationally if you have been vaccinated.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1030826]whether countries have agreed around a common standard and what they will accept[/quote]

I cant see the world (especially Asia) opening up until there is a common standard & acceptance of proof of vaccination. Will Australia insist on one vaccine over another – and is there really any need for those vaccinated to quarantine.

This must be avoided.. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54839434

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1032286]Will Australia insist on one vaccine over another – and is there really any need for those vaccinated to quarantine.[/quote]

Martyn

The problems are that nobody knows yet (1) how long the immunity following either succumbing to Covid-19 or being vaccinated (or both) lasts. Only time will tell. And, (2) nobody yet knows whether people who have had Covid-19 and/or been vaccinated can still spread the virus to others.

Whilst I hope to be in an early group to be vaccinated (I should qualify for this), this will be to protect me. But, I don’t expect that other rules generally, or specifically for travel, will change markedly from where they are now, for some time – maybe not even in 2021, until we have more answers about these problems.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1032387]But, I don’t expect that other rules generally, or specifically for travel, will change markedly from where they are now, for some time – maybe not even in 2021,[/quote]

Delighted to be vaccinated (when my turn comes), but how depressing the thought that travel restrictions could continue for the next 12 months…Not quite sure whether my business would survive without travel until 2022…. (if this was the case)…

ASK1945
    Participant

Martyn wrote: “Not quite sure whether my business would survive without travel until 2022”

It’s all speculation, of course, Martyn. It’s just that nobody knows. You can travel now – but there are numerous condition attached, as we all do know.

K1ngston
    Participant

I will be first in line if offered … but agree travel restrictions may still be in place for the time being …..

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am delighted an elderly relation of mine received their first of two jabs today at an NHS hospital a few miles north of London. It made me feel incredibly proud today to see the relief on the face of my relative after their jab, ‘virtually’ seen of course. The process was quick and efficient, with the second jab immediately booked for 3 weeks time. Well done NHS, well done UK for being one of the first countries to have an approved vaccine rolled out.

My relative still travels overseas and when the question was asked about a proof of inoculation if needed for future travel, the response from the vaccine department, was the Government are not allowing vaccination centres to provide anything other than a hand written card with person’s name and vaccine batch number.

I wonder how the world is going cope if proof of inoculation by a certificate is required, as for example Australia have already intimated may happen, prior to entry…

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1056559]I am delighted an elderly relation of mine received their first of two jabs today at an NHS hospital a few miles north of London. It made me feel incredibly proud today to see the relief on the face of my relative after their jab, ‘virtually’ seen of course. The process was quick and efficient, with the second jab immediately booked for 3 weeks time. Well done NHS, well done UK for being one of the first countries to have an approved vaccine rolled out.[/quote]

My mother-in-law is 98 and lives on her own, in her own flat. She is physically quite sprightly and mentally like a 60 years old person. She has an iPad, with which she surfs the internet.

Having heard that several of her (younger) friends had been vaccinated earlier this week, she contacted her GP practice. They told her that she wasn’t on their current list for vaccination – but if she could come right down immediately, they would do it. Having no-one to take her so quickly, she declined, as it would take her a short while to arrange to be taken there. They told her “Sorry – but you will just have to wait your turn”.

Well done the local NHS.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls