Personal Hygiene

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

kavaqc1
    Participant

Recently on a 2 and half hour flight from Vienna to London, I was unfortunate enough to be placed by a rather wiffy passenger.
    Not wishing to endure this for the whole flight, I explained my situation to the cabin crew and they moved me into business class..result!!

What experiences have other people had when faced with this problem?

Wingtips
    Participant

I recall a flight from Hong Kong to Istanbul on Turkish Airlines. I was in biz class and did encounter a similar situation – except that I didn’t know who was responsible for it since our seats were arranged in the herringbone fashion which made it hard to tell.

A good thing that I had my White Flower oil which I carry with me all the time. I dabbed some beneath my nose which helped ease the problem a bit. But just a bit.

InterestedObserver
    Participant

A real result.

How did you broach the subject with the staff?

I’d be interested in the correct etiquette / form for such an occasion, never having encountered it myself.

I’ve been in defective seats with broken IFE and people so fat next to me I couldn’t get comfortable (not all on the same flight) and still not had the offer of a move, so a simple stinky fellow pax seems extraordinary.

I wonder what happened after you’d left. Were the staff beseiged by other passengers holding their noses and pretending to faint?

Perhaps the smelly passenger realised he smelled (I’m assuming it was a he) and spent the rest of the flights saying, loudly “Thank goodness he’s gone. You can smell him even now….”

JWinter
    Participant

I often make sure I stink so that I get free seats all around me.

It’s especially amusing when there are no business class seats available for the offended passenger and they crunch themselves into the back row of economy just to get away from me.

flyingbunny
    Participant

1. Perhaps airline staff should smell people as they board.

2. They could make the stinkers wait and put them next to late arrivals.

3. Or they could offer discount tickets to those who don’t mind sitting next to the smellies. You could have a discounted row in each class – but there would have to be enough smelly people on each flight, and enough people willing to sit next to them, to ensure it worked.
    And just like the info that flags up when you choose the emergency exit seat, the airlines would have to flag up: “Please note you will be sitting next to a passenger with personal hygiene issues. If you do not wish to take this seat please choose another one”.

Frankenfurter
    Participant

The important question would you rather to sit next to someone who:
    – has hygiene problems
    – is so large the spill onto your seat
    – has an annoying tick
    – is drunk
    – or falls asleep an dribbles onto you?
    I would go forthe drunk if there was no turbulence.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Frankenfurter – what about someone who is fat, smelly AND drunk…….If you see someone like that about to board, please stop and say hello, as it’s probably me 😉

Oh yes – and I’ll probably have at least one screaming kid with me, and we’ll all be sitting in Business Class…..

Regards, Simon

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls