People buying cheap one-way flights in order to drink at the airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Story in the Sunday Times today

Gardai lack power to clip wings of airport drinkers

“Gardai say they have no powers to stop people buying cheap one-way flights in order to drink in the departure lounges of airports, which have remained open while every other pub in the country is shut.”

5 users thanked author for this post.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Brilliant!!

Reminds me of Portugal in the first lock down when bars were not allowed to open for “in sales”. Several took the innovative approach of closing the doors to the bar to stop people going in, but instead they opened windows to allow people to buy “takeaway” drinks in plastic glasses, or in the bottle 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1016675]Reminds me of Portugal in the first lock down when bars were not allowed to open for “in sales”. Several took the innovative approach of closing the doors to the bar to stop people going in, but instead they opened windows to allow people to buy “takeaway” drinks in plastic glasses, or in the bottle 🙂[/quote]

Isn’t this exactly what’s going on in some city centre pubs – take-away service – If restaurants can offer a collection service for food, if shops can sell alcohol, good luck to the bars, the economy needs to continue.

Well done the Irish – Brilliant

3 users thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

In some countries, entering departure area with ticket and not boarding a flight is a crime.

A similar law could be enacted if a country want.

sgvancouver
    Participant

Pretty desperate drinkers huh ?

2 users thanked author for this post.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

[postquote quote=1016781][/postquote]

How can you prosecute someone for missing a flight?

3 users thanked author for this post.

BPP
    Participant

Reminds me of the times years ago when canny Glaswegians desperate for a dram before the pubs opened could ride the train from Glasgow to Edinburgh and back as the bar car would be open.
    BPP

PatJordan
    Participant

A former colleague regularly bought a cheap one-way ticket ex-Dublin to a non-EU Country simply to stock up on duty free cigarettes. Once he had completed his purchases, he would exit the airport and spend several days telling anybody who cared to listen how much money he had saved.

ASK1945
    Participant

Pat

Whilst I agree that leaving a departure lounge without actually flying could not be illegal, I am sure that leaving with duty-free cigarettes, purchased in anticipation of leaving Ireland, must be illegal. Surely this is smuggling?

PatJordan
    Participant

ASK1945,

I hadn’t thought of that aspect; in retrospect you might well have a valid point. Certainly it would be a small part of the so-called black economy.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

[postquote quote=1016840][/postquote]

Apart from (surely) being illegal in its own right, he would have had to buy a fair few cartons to make it worthwhile, certainly more than his duty free limit.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I think the way to make a drink less expensive, is to buy a fully refundable ticket. Then change your mind and walk out – leaving the duty free fags behind of course.
    But then again, if the flight is cheap enough, why not go out and come back, and bring the duty free’s with you. Just don’t get blotto’d otherwise they won’t let you on the plane!

Inquisitive
    Participant

[postquote quote=1016818][/postquote]
    FaroFlyer – action are taken only if someone tries to abuse the system like buying things from duty free shop without travelling – means intentional wrongful action.

If someone missed a flight due to some other emergency, that can be easily found.
    If there is will to find lawbreakers, it can be easily done.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=1016868]I think the way to make a drink less expensive, is to buy a fully refundable ticket. Then change your mind and walk out – leaving the duty free fags behind of course.
    But then again, if the flight is cheap enough, why not go out and come back, and bring the duty free’s with you. Just don’t get blotto’d otherwise they won’t let you on the plane![/quote]

Apart from the need to quarantine on return a perfect day out ….

A couple of pints before you leave
    A couple of G&T’s and/or wine on your 2 hour flight
    Quick taxi into town , and soak up the local brew or three
    Back to the airport , a bite to eat with a refreshing chardonnay to wash it down
    A couple more drinks on the way home
    Finally , get home , and enjoy a nightcap before waking up to Nicola’s dystopian world.

If you’re reading this MOL , I’m wanting a cut of the profits .

I’ve even got a tag line …. “Let Ryanscare covid away , on our awayday top up your glass specials”

4 users thanked author for this post.

Montysaurus
    Participant

Couldn’t go to the airport in Glasgow for a flight, never mind a drink. Flying out of Glasgow is legal but travelling to the airport to catch it is illegal.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls